P2 bottom bracket

chatlow
chatlow Posts: 845
edited June 2018 in Workshop
Replaced the chain on my Cervelo P2 (2014) yesterday and noticed that the BB felt rough and loud when turning the cranks. Wasn't sure if it was dirty so once I had the chainset removed, again, confirmed the bearings felt rough when rotating them.

Since popping each one out, they don't seem as bad as I had hoped I guess, none the less I need to replace them.

I believe this is a bbright setup and as there is no assembly in the BB area, just the 2 cartridges, am I right in thinking they would be BB30's? Cranks are FSA Gossamer. B3155 and pressfit also printed next to where BB slots in.

Please can someone 100% confirm it's BB30 I need? Tredz are saying sounds like and they cost around a tenner each.

Comments

• Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    chatlow wrote:
    Replaced the chain on my Cervelo P2 (2014) yesterday and noticed that the BB felt rough and loud when turning the cranks. Wasn't sure if it was dirty so once I had the chainset removed, again, confirmed the bearings felt rough when rotating them.

Since popping each one out, they don't seem as bad as I had hoped I guess, none the less I need to replace them.

I believe this is a bbright setup and as there is no assembly in the BB area, just the 2 cartridges, am I right in thinking they would be BB30's? Cranks are FSA Gossamer. B3155 and pressfit also printed next to where BB slots in.

Please can someone 100% confirm it's BB30 I need? Tredz are saying sounds like and they cost around a tenner each.

No its a press fit 30. They use the same bearing size but the bearing is pressed into a cup which is in turn pressed into the frame.

If youre lucky you can knock the bearings out and just replace. Ive had most luck pressing in a new bb30 bearing dry into the remaining cups that were left in situ. The “proper” way is to replace bearing and cup. But if its sound that seems like extra hassle with cleaning and compond
  • chatlow
    chatlow wrote:

No its a press fit 30. They use the same bearing size but the bearing is pressed into a cup which is in turn pressed into the frame.

If youre lucky you can knock the bearings out and just replace. Ive had most luck pressing in a new bb30 bearing dry into the remaining cups that were left in situ. The “proper” way is to replace bearing and cup. But if its sound that seems like extra hassle with cleaning and compond

thanks - but now I'm confused because having removed the bearings from each side, there is no cup in there connecting them. I can see the frame inbetween and some of the wiring for di2 - unless only bearings were used without an assembly after they installed di2?

So am I okay to go ahead and fit these new BB30 bearings either side?
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    Well if its just bearings measure them, and replace like with like.
  • chatlow
    thanks - doing so today.