No seatpost clamp?

Notable hobbit
Notable hobbit Posts: 28
edited June 2018 in Workshop
Just bought a bike but the guy who sold it to me told me that he had had the seatpost/seat tube modded so that no clamp was needed. Its got an aluminium frame and carbon seatpost. The saddle is the right height for me and he told me it was meant to be adjusted by heating the frame then adjusting and letting it cool. Is this a real/well known mod or is it just a seized seatpost? Just asking cause ive never heard of it before but the rest of the bike has been looked after and upgraded normally.

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    The guy is on a wind-up. Please tell me this is a joke?
  • gazza1286
    gazza1286 Posts: 45
    That's a good one...
    You'll be putting things right I presume. Seat post diameters and clamp sizes vary. Visit the manufacturer's website to confirm the specs and source a replacement(secondhand) post online. You may not be so lucky for the clamp. You may need to order a new one from a local dealer who is an agent for that brand.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Probably ideal for at some point the seat tube will be crashing down to the exact Hobbit height whilst you ride.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,646
    So, it doesn't have a seat clamp and doesn't move. It is stuck in the frame. Caveat emptor.
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    Never heard of such a thing. Maybe he pounded the wrong size post into the frame and it's stuck or it's fused from corrosion. I'd have a conversation with the seller and ask him to show you how to move the seatpost (or ask for a refund).
  • Cheers guys, looks like its new clamp time then- I didnt quibble with him cause it was a good deal anyway and I suspect he was told and believed the same thing
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I might remember this one next time I sell a bike....
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Cheers guys, looks like its new clamp time then- I didnt quibble with him cause it was a good deal anyway and I suspect he was told and believed the same thing

I think you're missing the point...