Where to ride..??

Ajm2910
Ajm2910 Posts: 10
edited June 2018 in MTB general
Just curious what places people use to ride some trials in and around the West Midlands area??

Comments

• 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    Clent Hills and Lickey Hills.
  • Ajm2910
    oxoman wrote:
    I assume you meant trails. Your not million miles from forest of Dean or cannock.

I did mean trails! I went to Cannock last weekend and enjoy a couple of laps. Have been FOD before may take a return back
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446
    Depending upon where exactly in the West Midlands you live, Sherwood Pines might be a good day out for you. Look out for the next Forum Ride there, sometime in late Aug / early Sep.
    See the last one: (24th Jun'18)

viewtopic.php?f=10014&t=13092190
  • Ajm2910
    Depending upon where exactly in the West Midlands you live, Sherwood Pines might be a good day out for you. Look out for the next Forum Ride there, sometime in late Aug / early Sep.
    See the last one: (24th Jun'18)

viewtopic.php?f=10014&t=13092190

Just outside Birmingham, haven’t been to sherwood pines yet, but will keep it in mind for next time, thanks
  • Ajm2910
    oxoman wrote:
    When at cannock I'm assuming you did both the monkey trail and follow the Dog if not suggest you do the monkey trail as its more fun. Sherwood is pan flat pretty much so that leaves the FOD or travel to Brenin or Llandegla.

I only did 2 laps of the dog but will be going back to try the monkey, haven’t yet tried that one.
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446
    Ajm2910 wrote:
    oxoman wrote:
    When at cannock I'm assuming you did both the monkey trail and follow the Dog if not suggest you do the monkey trail as its more fun. Sherwood is pan flat pretty much so that leaves the FOD or travel to Brenin or Llandegla.

I only did 2 laps of the dog but will be going back to try the monkey, haven’t yet tried that one.

A couple of miles in from the start (dunno the correct distance), there is a small clearing in the woods, with a big sign on the right. It is a popular resting point for riders. If you go right you stay on the Dog. Go left and start the Monkey. When you complete the Monkey, the trail naturally brings you on to the Dog a few hundred yards after you left it. Total will be 14-15 miles. It is a very good combination of the two and feels completely natural to do it that way.

PS: Despite impressions to the contrary, Sherwood Pines is not pretty much pan flat (not even Thetford is that flat). OK, it's not the Peaks, but the trails make the best of the terrain. On the Forum Ride that 12 of us did last Sunday we climbed and descended over 1100 feet. After 14 miles, everyone felt that they'd had a workout.
  • Ajm2910
    Ajm2910 wrote:
    oxoman wrote:

A couple of miles in from the start (dunno the correct distance), there is a small clearing in the woods, with a big sign on the right. It is a popular resting point for riders. If you go right you stay on the Dog. Go left and start the Monkey. When you complete the Monkey, the trail naturally brings you on to the Dog a few hundred yards after you left it. Total will be 14-15 miles. It is a very good combination of the two and feels completely natural to do it that way.

PS: Despite impressions to the contrary, Sherwood Pines is not pretty much pan flat (not even Thetford is that flat). OK, it's not the Peaks, but the trails make the best of the terrain. On the Forum Ride that 12 of us did last Sunday we climbed and descended over 1100 feet. After 14 miles, everyone felt that they'd had a workout.

I did see the signs for the monkey trail, will give it a go next time I’m there. Always up for trying new places so will make a trip to sherwood pines and see what it’s about. Will also be keeping my eyes open for the forum ride
  • Ajm2910
    oxoman wrote:
    AJM, if you follow the alternative direction at the split it takes you to the zigzags going down to the railway bridge. Go over the bridge and cross road, Being careful as this is a fast road. straight across you will see the pumping station to your right take the track to the right in front of this and the entrance is through a squeeze gap and that is the start of the monkey trail. The trail starts with a hard but short zigzag from the start and you will need your granny gear if you have one. The trail is well marked, upper and lower cliffs are at the end and very fast sections. ( my favourite ). You return almost to the starting point before re-crossing the road and railway and the route rejoins follow the dog route before returning to birches valley carpark. There are alternative places to park if you know the area to save on parking but the toilets are only at the main centre. The dog and monkey trail is a nice ride especially in the week when a little quieter. wkends get busy. Llandegla is worth a visit as is Coed Y Brenin slightly harder and longer distances than cannock. Sherwoods red kitchener trail is pretty easy and can be done easily in just over an hour or so, that gives you an idea that its fairly flat and fast running. Hicks Lodge near Ashby De La Zouch has a small flat blue rated trail that is flat with a few berms and little jumps but nothing bigger than a foot in height, its only just over 4 miles long and ideal for anyone who is looking to take young kids or get fit as its a constant pedal track pretty much. Has toilets and tea room.

Thanks for all that information! I’m open to all ideas and looking to try different trails. I’ll take up some of these ideas in the weekends to come