Prepare to have your blood boiled.

JakeJ
JakeJ Posts: 151
edited June 2018 in Road general
So this video was brought to my attention from a friend of mine.

It was uploaded to instagram from someone who we used to be friends with but haven't associated with for some time.

When my friend asked him about it, he said it wasn't him and don't be so 'butthurt' about it because '99% of cyclists are c*nts' and 'its funny'.

I've uploaded it to youtube only so I could post it here and ask for help on how I can get it reported and hope that something is done about it.

The video had me shaking with anger and I haven't been able to stop thinking about it since, so I've brought it here for everyone to share their opinion on it.

https://youtu.be/NC19IQ666CY

Comments

• haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    I might be wrong but I'm pretty sure I've seen it before, so it probably isn't him. Still, anyone who shares stuff like that thinking it's funny deserves a slap.

If it is him, I hope someone can prove it and have him severely rodgered in jail though
  • JakeJ
    Just had a quick google & you're right it seems to be a video that has gone viral, my main anger was towards the person who uploaded it, he's someone who has been knocked off his motorbike more than once but seems to find this funny.

The last time he was knocked off it nearly killed him. Shame it was only nearly. or is that too harsh of me?

I wonder if he'd still have found it funny if the people in the video has killed the bloke on the bike.
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    JakeJ wrote:
    he's someone who has been knocked off his motorbike more than once but seems to find this funny.

Lets hope the next time is the last.... :wink:
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    JakeJ wrote:
    Just had a quick google & you're right it seems to be a video that has gone viral, my main anger was towards the person who uploaded it, he's someone who has been knocked off his motorbike more than once but seems to find this funny.

The last time he was knocked off it nearly killed him. Shame it was only nearly. or is that too harsh of me?

I wonder if he'd still have found it funny if the people in the video has killed the bloke on the bike.

That is harsh but it did cross my mind as a read it, obviously we don't want to see anyone dying on our roads. I'd prefer he just saw the irony and changed his views :wink:
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    I know a guy who did it to the lead cyclist in a group of about 20. The cyclist went over taking the whole group out. He got prosecuted and only got a £200 fine which he paid off £10 a week. He still said he'd do it again if he got the chance and it would be worth it for twice the fine.

Whilst he's a gobby cnut it's not just bs he did do it. He's got a serious issue with cyclists. I work with a few like that including a work colleague I actually get on very well with but they swerved the car over to scare me one day on my commute home.

It's all a big joke to them, they can't see cyclists as human when on the bike. Off the bike they're usually alright.
  • JakeJ
    What I'm also worried about with videos like this going viral, is it's not just cyclists that see it, it's everyone, there will be people that find this funny and will be willing to copy the actions they've seen, stupidity is contagious you know & at some point, someone is going to kill a cyclist by doing this because it's funny and cyclists are cun*s anyway and unless the cyclist has forwards and back facing cameras it's possible no one would have a clue what happened to him/her/they if him/her/they are just found in a ditch, letting the offender to live another day and potentially do it again and again.
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    JakeJ wrote:

Not at all. If we are to learn from our peers in the comments sections of these videos it's obviously 'hilarious :lol::lol::lol: '.
  • peat
    I saw this shared all over facebook yesterday. There WILL be copycats.

Most of the people commenting negatively towards cyclists or say 'they would love to do the same' wouldn't dare do it, but there WILL be some who are missing a few synapses who will think it funny & justified to replicate it.

I just don't see the humour myself. I don't have alot of time for gypsy/travelling folk but i'm pretty sure if i saw a video of an anonymous passer by take a bit of 2x4 to the side of a gypos' head, I would feel disgust and pity.

I've been on the receiving end of some (more than usual) abuse from passers-by whilst out on the bike recently. I detect a boiling point approaching in my area. It's not good.
  • cld531c
    cld531c Posts: 517
    Thats horrific. There was an article in the last Audax magazine where a bloke had been knocked off by someone in a car pulling his jacket. Luckily there were witnesses. Surely if they were interested the police would be able to find whoever created the video and throw the book at them.
  • imafatman
    imafatman Posts: 351
    I know a guy who did it to the lead cyclist in a group of about 20. The cyclist went over taking the whole group out. He got prosecuted and only got a £200 fine which he paid off £10 a week. He still said he'd do it again if he got the chance and it would be worth it for twice the fine.

Do you know his address? I'd like to go and have a word.

IMO this is very close to attempted murder. The likelihood of dying and or serious life changing injuries are significant.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,834
    edited June 2018
    Shouldn't the police be able to...
    Enforce all comments on such social media videos are removed and replaced by a comment from them stating how dangerous this is and point out it is a criminal offence?
    Identify and visit any social media users who post comments on such videos that encourage a dangerous and criminal act?
    etc.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • peat
    A judge handing down a £200 fine for that... May aswell concluded his closing remarks with "Good on yer, mate!"
  • imafatman
    imafatman Posts: 351
    Shouldn't the police be able to...
    Enforce all comments on such social media videos are removed and replaced by a comment from them stating how dangerous this is and point out it is a criminal offence?
    Identify and visit any social media users who post comments on such videos that encourage a dangerous and criminal act?
    etc.

I guess you'd like to live in a Police state.

I don't think knocking on peoples doors because they shared/commented on a video is not going to improve things.
  • peat
    I mean, it has happened. Hasn't it? I recall a bedroom troll getting a visit from plod because of a threatening post.

But i agree that it's a bad direction to be going.
  • I also saw this doing the rounds yesterday and it infuriated me and just makes me feel sad that certain people find it funny. My missus works as an occupational therapist and one of her current patients has a neurological condition due to being knocked off a bike so it’s perfectly possible that the cyclist in this video could have received life changing injuries from this incident. Very sad.
  • tangled_metal
    imafatman wrote:

Do you know his address? I'd like to go and have a word.

IMO this is very close to attempted murder. The likelihood of dying and or serious life changing injuries are significant.
    If any action taken doesn't get traced back to me in quite happy to pass the name to you. He's a big fella who can look after himself though. You'd have to do it without him spotting you first. Just like he did with the cyclist he pushed over.
  • tangled_metal
    Peat wrote:
    A judge handing down a £200 fine for that... May aswell concluded his closing remarks with "Good on yer, mate!"
    Yes, he took the pi$$ out of the courts for that one. He said he'd do it again if he got the chance.

He hates cyclists. As he tells me a lot over and over again. Usually most days I commute in and especially when I use my recumbent. I'm the enemy but the recumbent means it's perfectly OK to kill me because I using a form of transport that can't be seen.

It's surprising that there's people with this mentality around.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    at first I thought it was just the one that went viral when Jeremy Vine posted it a few months back, but I actually do think this one is a different case even though it looks very similar,and yeah the usual knuckleheads are the ones sharing it around commenting its hilarious
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211

Whilst he's a gobby cnut it's not just bs he did do it. He's got a serious issue with cyclists. I work with a few like that including a work colleague I actually get on very well with but they swerved the car over to scare me one day on my commute home.

It's all a big joke to them, they can't see cyclists as human when on the bike. Off the bike they're usually alright.

Are you sure he only got a £200 fine or is that what he tells people? Knuckle draggers like to make out that they got one over the courts when the truth is often far different.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • JakeJ
    awavey wrote:
    at first I thought it was just the one that went viral when Jeremy Vine posted it a few months back, but I actually do think this one is a different case even though it looks very similar,and yeah the usual knuckleheads are the ones sharing it around commenting its hilarious

There are two that are damn near exactly the same, the one I posted and an older one from a couple of months back, could even be the same offender for all we know, or as I feared most, a copycat.

This world scares me so much, I'm only 26 but I've seen such a huge change in just the way people act in the last 10 years or so, I completely blame it on technology, I think it's turned everyone into gormless zombies who think it's funny to be horrible to people, to bully people to be accepted by the bigger bully's. Where being famous on the internet is what kids want to be when they grow up, ' I want to be a youtuber', or ' I want to be an instagram model ', my girlfriend is a primary school teacher and she's told me that some of the kids genuinely say this, when I was a kid like everyone else I wanted to be an astronaut or a firefighter, (I'm neither of those things) but that's what most kids would have said back then.

As said I'm only 26 so I ask, 30 years ago did people become famous for being stupid on tv and meaning it, I know there's slapstick comedy, but was there anything remotely like The only way is essex for example, where it's just dramatised drama and stupid people for entertainment.

I know I'm going on a bit of a dark one but sometimes I really hate the world I live in, purely because of the other people in it which is why I struggle to keep any form of zen on the road when cars come towards me, clearly in a world of their own or on their phone or whatever it may be, then the usual sorry mate I didn't see you or just plain all out abuse as if it were my fault.

30-40 years ago, did people drive constantly on auto pilot, brake for no reason, do 15mph whilst they're not concentrating then speed off when they realise what they're doing.

There's a comment above about going to sleep for 30 years, then a following comment about all of today's kids will be running the place by then..

That is not a world I want to live in, so I need to somehow become MEGA rich and buy my own island somewhere far, far, away, maybe I'll be come a youtuber because that seems to be where the money is these days. :oops: :(
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Calm down. Get off the internet if you’re so paranoid.
  • hantstooflat
    hantstooflat Posts: 122
    Sadly, with a little one on the way and cyclists recently being shot at with pellet guns on the local roads, this has made me seriously think about how much time I want to spend out cycling on the road. I've always been happy to accept the risk of cycling on the roads, some people will just make mistakes, but to begin to hear about cyclists being targeted is worrying.

I see sense in what JakeJ says above about technology, specifically social media and the ability for anyone to have their say on anything (e.g. article comments). The confrontational language, lies and boasts you see in any article related to cycling is largely bluster but the more it is said the more normalised it becomes and sadly I worry where this leads.
    “Jij bent niet van suiker gemaakt”
  • hantstooflat
    hantstooflat Posts: 122
    Calm down. Get off the internet if you’re so paranoid.

And the flipside is true too, events that would have largely gone unlogged and unnoticed are now shared very widely potentially fuelling paranoia and fear amongst the groups targeted.
    “Jij bent niet van suiker gemaakt”
  • giorgiogu
    giorgiogu Posts: 4
    Peat wrote:
    I saw this shared all over facebook yesterday. There WILL be copycats.

Most of the people commenting negatively towards cyclists or say 'they would love to do the same' wouldn't dare do it, but there WILL be some who are missing a few synapses who will think it funny & justified to replicate it.

I just don't see the humour myself. I don't have alot of time for gypsy/travelling folk but i'm pretty sure if i saw a video of an anonymous passer by take a bit of 2x4 to the side of a gypos' head, I would feel disgust and pity.

I've been on the receiving end of some (more than usual) abuse from passers-by whilst out on the bike recently. I detect a boiling point approaching in my area. It's not good.

Regarding abuses, I have noticed the same.

I don't know if it is the heat and/or cars travel with windows down or everybody got suddenly in a hurry but in the last few weeks, I have received more shouts, fingers and very close pass then in the last 6 months.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    We're in the summer season - every other man and woman is on their bike - drive anywhere at the weekend and you'll see loads of cyclists - some solo, some in a group - even on my commute home yesterday I saw a group of 3 riders - usually I don't see another cyclist at all.
    What does it mean? It means more holdups for the cars - instead of coming across the occasional rider, they barely go any distance before coming across another one - for the majority of drivers that doesn't matter - many would wish they were out riding instead of being behind the wheel of the car - but for a few it's a bigger irritation and more obstacles to vent at - and for the even smaller minority - it's more targets to have a go at.

It'll calm down when we get some inclement weather - less people on the roads because it's not so pleasant out there.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    but I would say these things are incredibly rare, so rare infact if we assume these were two separate cases, neither of those cyclists has come forward to say "yeah that was me" which seems incredible given the viral profile they seem to have had, let alone youd think anyone on the receiving end of that would be spitting feathers to get as much publicity and police on it to flush the idiots out to prosecute them.

so you are probably more at risk of falling down the stairs in your house whilst wearing your spd shoes (been there done that got the bruises to show for it)
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    The cause of this behaviour is...
    1) The cheap tabloid media that are dumbing people down. Sites like the Daily Mail is full of bigoted hatred.
    2) A recent sense of entitlement. Where other motorists think they're entitled to use the road and they have some ownership. In fact driving is a privilege that can be taken away, not a right. And you dont even own the bit of road outside your own home, yes someone else can park "in your spot". In my local newspaper somebody wrote a complaint saying nobody should delay their car journey, it turned out to be the Police who closed the road for a near fatal traffic incident. Since when was their car journey more important than someone elses life?
    3) A lack of awareness and rational thought. For example, they dont understand the Highway Code or think I actually own a car as well as cycle, yes I pay tax, yes I have passed a driving test and yes my bike is insured. No I'm not doing anything illegal.
    4) Those cyclists who jump red traffic lights are doing none of us any favours.

What needs to be done is the Police need to get onto social media and release an official statement that this dangerous driving will not be tolerated and the consequences are a court appearance, big fine, driving ban, loss of job maybe and prison.

I've had an attack from a motorist whilst on my bike. The peculiar thing was at the time he was very vocal and acted the hard macho white-van man.
    However a few hours later when he got a surprise knock on his door from two Police Officers, who took him down the Station, put him into custody and went through the formal Police interview / questioning; he turned into an absolute coward, he wasn't vocal and expressive about harming cyclists in front of them.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby