Sram type 3 eagle clutch adjustment

Rowan404
Rowan404 Posts: 104
edited June 2018 in MTB workshop & tech
Got a new (used) bike a week ago with X01 Eagle and I have no clue how to use the clutch. I don't even know if it's on or not. Shimano was so much more intuitive. Anyways, if anyone has figured it out let me know, thanks.

Comments

• 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    Shimano has a lever to switch the clutch on or off, I think also the tension for the clutch can be adjusted, never done that myself.
    Sram xx1 and X01 11 speed do not have a switch so clutch is on all the time, presumably 12 speed are the same.
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,449
    I didn't believe that I even had a clutch because there was no on/off switch like on the Shimano ones. But there it was in tiny print "Roller clutch"!

The clutch is engaged all the time and there is nothing to be done to it. You don't have to "use" it.

You may know this, but I'll tell you anyway: If you turn the bike upside down and press the mech all the way forward, a little catch close to the hinge can be pushed forward to hold the mech in that position. This makes removing the rear wheel a doddle. Before you do this, put the chain in the 2nd or 3rd smallest gear to make it a doddle to put back as well.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Probably at this point adding some extra information.
    Firstly strictly neither is a clutch (or at least acts as a clutch) both SRAM and Shimano devices act as a damper, they damp the spring and add or deduct force from the spring force depending on the motion. Much like the damper in a fork adds or deducts from the spring force. the intent is to add extra force when the chain is trying to move away from its normal line due to other forces (mostly gravity as the bike lands after bumps etc).

The Shimano device looks like a clutch but is properly a friction damper, (early cars used very similar friction dampers), and it works in both directions, so increases chain tension as it tries to pull out of line and reducing it when it tries to return (so when people say it adds tension they are wrong, it adds no tension but the chain adds tension against its resisting force due to its mass x acceleration, some times it reduces tension - controls tension would be a lot more accurate).

the SRAM device is even less like a clutch it uses a roller to add force only one direction (opposing chain 'lengthening' but allowing the mech to spring back unhindered and is superior (in concept at least) to the Shimano.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • steve_sordy
    The Rookie wrote:

the SRAM device is even less like a clutch it uses a roller to add force only one direction (opposing chain 'lengthening' but allowing the mech to spring back unhindered and is superior (in concept at least) to the Shimano.

I knew that both were there to damp down chain whip, but I did not know that was how the SRAM version worked. Thanks for taking the time to explain. :)
  • Rowan404
    Thanks for all the info! Is there no way to adjust the clutch either? I've been getting some pretty bad chain slap on some of the bigger drops.
  • Rowan404
    I heard that on xtr you can adjust the tension.
  • 02gf74
    Is the chain the correct length.

Is the clutch working correctly. They have been known to fail.
  • Rowan404
    02GF74 wrote:
    Is the chain the correct length.

Is the clutch working correctly. They have been known to fail.
    Yea the chain is fine. I'd assume the clutch would be working as it's a pretty new bike. The guy I bought it from only rid it for a week or two. That being said the clutch doesn't seem all that strong compared to the slx I had on my last bike. Maybe this is just because it can't be turned off so it needs to be looser to get the wheel off.
  • steve_sordy
    Rowan404 wrote:
    ............... Maybe this is just because it can't be turned off so it needs to be looser to get the wheel off.

See my comment in the 3rd post from the top. :)
  • 02gf74
    Rowan404 wrote:
    02GF74 wrote:
    Yea the chain is fine. I'd assume the clutch would be working as it's a pretty new bike. The guy I bought it from only rid it for a week or two. That being said the clutch doesn't seem all that strong compared to the slx I had on my last bike. Maybe this is just because it can't be turned off so it needs to be looser to get the wheel off.

Have you measured chain is correct length or are assuming that the person who built it got it right.

The only way to compare shimano and sram is to for me to do some measurements, but later....... , right now listening to TRB
  • 02gf74
    Rowan404 wrote:
    I've been getting some pretty bad chain slap on some of the bigger drops.

There is this, how big are these drops.

I hardly ever leave the ground, biggest drops I do is a 6 inch kerb and I've never had a problem.

You may be asking too much of the mech and may need some chain retention device.

Sram do a 7 speed mech for downhill. Having a smaller range of gears means chain is shorter than with 12 speed.
  • steve_sordy
    Rowan404 wrote:
    Thanks for all the info! Is there no way to adjust the clutch either? I've been getting some pretty bad chain slap on some of the bigger drops.

Google "RSP Chain Director" for a dangler device that is the dog's.

Google "Bionicon review" to see how it works for nearly 3x as much money.
  • Rowan404
    02GF74 wrote:
    Rowan404 wrote:
    02GF74 wrote:

Have you measured chain is correct length or are assuming that the person who built it got it right.

The only way to compare shimano and sram is to for me to do some measurements, but later....... , right now listening to TRB
    The bike was actually built by the staff at GT so you would hope they would be able to get it right. It also feels about right compared to other bikes I've ridden. It feels more like the clutch has too low of a tension.
  • Rowan404
    02GF74 wrote:
    Rowan404 wrote:
    I've been getting some pretty bad chain slap on some of the bigger drops.

There is this, how big are these drops.

I hardly ever leave the ground, biggest drops I do is a 6 inch kerb and I've never had a problem.

You may be asking too much of the mech and may need some chain retention device.

Sram do a 7 speed mech for downhill. Having a smaller range of gears means chain is shorter than with 12 speed.
    I don't really ride pure downhill enough to warrant the 7 speed. Isn't xo1 kind of meant for this sort of stuff? Anyways since you can't adjust it I'll probably just get a chain guide for now and switch to xtr when it comes out.
  • 02gf74
    Rowan404 wrote:
    The bike was actually built by the staff at GT so you would hope they would be able to get it right. It also feels about right compared to other bikes I've ridden. It feels more like the clutch has too low of a tension.

Yes you'd think so but the simple things need to be be checked first. It is likely you have sram chain that should have a quick link, should take a couple of mine at most.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Rowan404 wrote:
    On Shimano, yes, on SRAM no. Is it on (see Sordy's notes)
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.