Fox DPS Rear Shock Lever Problems

MeatballMax
MeatballMax Posts: 2
edited June 2018 in MTB workshop & tech
I have been mountain biking for quite some time, and this has never happened to me. I recently purchased a YT Jeffsy brand new, and have taken it out about 5 times. It came stock with the Fox DPS Performance shock. This most recent time, while I was switching the compression damper switch to the “climb” mode, it became completely loose. Before this happened, a small amount of force was required to switch modes, and the lever would stay in each position. Now, the lever just hangs limp as a noodle.

Is there anyway to fix this? This came brand new on the bike, so in my opinion, there is no reason for it to be malfunctioning this soon.

Comments

• JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    Send it back to Silverfish under warranty.
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,449
    I had a similar problem with a Fox fork on the right hand leg. Very similar device at a detail level.

There is a small ball under spring pressure that pops into one of three round holes in a circular groove. Which hole depends upon which setting you require. The groove-ball-spring device is known as a "detent", probably because it detains the lever in the position required.

The symptoms you describe could be any of these:

The screw on the lever that holds it in the correct position to apply compression to the spring has gone loose.
    The spring has gone missing, or is broken, or is clogged with muck.
    The ball has gone missing.
    The whole detent is clogged up with muck. (My particular problem)

The answer is to dismantle it and clean it. DO NOT DROP THE TINY TINY BITS AS YOU WILL NEVER FIND THEM AGAIN AND YOUR BIKING LIFE AS YOU KNOW IT WILL BE OVER!

Do yourself a big favour and remove the shock to do this work. That way you will give yourself a fighting chance of not dropping any bits. Have a magnet handy! Don't forget there is a SPRING inside there!! :shock:

Once the shock is off the bike, tools required are: small Allen keys maybe small Torx keys and maybe some small screwdrivers.

Fiddly job, but should not take too long, Be methodical and clean. Do the work on a big cloth so that if you drop anything it will not bounce to infinity and beyond! Unlike that tiny ball (1mm dia) that I dropped on the concrete garage floor. I found it after almost an hour of searching. :lol:

I'm trying to help here, so if anyone knows I'm wrong then please feel free to correct me. Don't flame the Bejasus out of me because I got a detail wrong.
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    Or just get it repaired/replaced under warranty rather than mess about with it and risk having any warranty claim refused.