Home made degreaser

tomwright117
tomwright117 Posts: 9
edited June 2018 in Workshop
Hey all,

I am wanting to clean the rear sprocket on a bike I am working on. It’s quite greasy but I don’t like the idea of using a chemical based product, as apposed to plant based for cleaning this. Due to the impact on the environment. Online suggests using vinigar, baking soda and some citrus essential oils.

Has anyone got any experience in using this type of method to remove grease?

Cheers, T

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    It's a bit of a false premise, IMO. Whatever you use will break down the oil and the resulting 'bio' solution will be effectively unrecycleable anyway. At least if you use an oil-based degreaser you can pour the remnants into your waste oil container, (assuming you have one) before taking it to your local recycling facility. That's what I do, anyway.
  • figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    Anything you use will be "chemical based", regardless of its source.

Your suggested mix appears odd. Baking soda is sodium bicarbonate. Vinegar is principally a dilute mix of water and ethanoic (acetic) acid. When you mix the baking soda with the vinegar the acid will react with the sodium bicarbonate to give you carbon dioxide, water and sodium ethanoate (acetate). None of these things is especially good at cleaning oily things. At least the citrus fruit essential oils will make it smell nice.

As mentioned above, whatever you use to clean it you will end up with a dirty, oily end substance which needs proper disposal.

I tend to use a metal parts cleaner fluid, largely because I have some kicking about. You could just use a warm soapy solution (washing up liquid for example*) and a brush.

*no, it does not contain "salt" and won't corrode your cassette.
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • imafatman
    imafatman Posts: 351
    Plant based degreaser? :lol:

This has got to be a wind up. Reminds me of all the fellers on YouTube living a "plant based lifestyle".

Of course they don't realise how bad for the environment some plant based stuff can be. Cotton for example. Or all those avocados and nuts they eat which take huge volumes of water to grow and have a significantly worse impact on the planet compared to other not so plant based alternatives.

Maybe just stop riding your bike and walk if you find degreaser too objectionable because the tyres you put on, the oil you use for your chain is all pretty bad for the planet. And definitely don't ever fly anywhere because that single flight is going to be equivalent to several lifetimes worth of degreaser.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    or 5 litres of jizer for £20 and that lasts 2 years when doing bicycles on a weekly basis so minimal enviromental impact because you are using so little and its so diluted when you hose it off.

also comes in a metal can so 100% recyclable.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • imafatman wrote:
    Plant based degreaser? :lol:

This has got to be a wind up. Reminds me of all the fellers on YouTube living a "plant based lifestyle".

Of course they don't realise how bad for the environment some plant based stuff can be. Cotton for example. Or all those avocados and nuts they eat which take huge volumes of water to grow and have a significantly worse impact on the planet compared to other not so plant based alternatives.

Maybe just stop riding your bike and walk if you find degreaser too objectionable because the tyres you put on, the oil you use for your chain is all pretty bad for the planet. And definitely don't ever fly anywhere because that single flight is going to be equivalent to several lifetimes worth of degreaser.

The dairy industry alone uses 1/3 of the whole worlds fresh water. But your right, those guys have no idea. I'll just drive a Prius and poo in the woods...
  • or 5 litres of jizer for £20 and that lasts 2 years when doing bicycles on a weekly basis so minimal enviromental impact because you are using so little and its so diluted when you hose it off.

Thanks mate, sounds like a plan!
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    The dairy industry alone uses 1/3 of the whole worlds fresh water. ...

That sound like a suspiciously bold claim. Most of the planet's fresh water is locked away in ice caps. But if you're talking about the runny stuff can you point me in the direction of some statistics?

I know that agriculture in general uses an awful lot of fresh water, but a third of it in dairy?
  • keef66 wrote:
    The dairy industry alone uses 1/3 of the whole worlds fresh water. ...

That sound like a suspiciously bold claim. Most of the planet's fresh water is locked away in ice caps. But if you're talking about the runny stuff can you point me in the direction of some statistics?

I know that agriculture in general uses an awful lot of fresh water, but a third of it in dairy?

Its from a fair few places that I have heard it, but the most known source is the controversial docco 'What the Health", it is sadly true. But I want to talk about bikes on here. If I want to have a plant based debate I'll go to a vegan forum or something
  • jermas
    jermas Posts: 484
    edited June 2018
    Some modern water-based degreasers are almost as effective as solvent based ones (Jizer, Gunk etc) but more environmentally friendly. Citrus degreasers can be effective but dull anodized parts as do caustic degreasers.
    Surfex HD is a good water based one that can be watered down to do light degreasing / general cleaning.
    http://www.bilthamber.com/car-cleaning-and-degreasing/surfex-hd
  • jermas wrote:
    Some modern water-based degreasers are almost as effective as solvent based ones (Jizer, Gunk etc) but more environmentally friendly. Citrus degreasers can be effective but dull anodized parts as do caustic degreasers.
    Surfex HD is a good water based one that can be watered down to do light degreasing / general cleaning.
    http://www.bilthamber.com/surfex-hd

Love that! cheers mate
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    or 5 litres of jizer for £20 and that lasts 2 years when doing bicycles on a weekly basis so minimal enviromental impact because you are using so little and its so diluted when you hose it off.

Thanks mate, sounds like a plan!

pleasure dude - happy to help any time.

local motor factor will stock. so much cheaper, just as effective and all good points over something trendy like Muc Off. you won't find it in your local Rapha cafe ....

Can be used all over every kind of bike with no problems.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    edited June 2018
    I've found using White Spirit to be one of the best degreasers for cleaning and for environmental purposes. A little on a rag works better than almost anything for wiping off grease and oils. Used as a soak for chains and whatever it can be saved in a jar and the gunk will settle to the bottom allowing you to drain off the clean WS to be used over and over. Wipe the gunk out of the jar with a rag and throw in the rubbish can rather than pouring down the drain or in your garden. I finally had to buy another gallon after 10 years of using it for my bike, car and motorcycle cleaning. A little goes a long way. Plenty of other bikers use this.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    Just ride to the Pub, get battered on absyth and piss yourself on the ride home. That'll do it..
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    Just ride to the Pub, get battered on absyth and wee-wee yourself on the ride home. That'll do it..

More likely this would produce vomit, but that would also probably strip grease...

This might sound silly but people say diesel is an excellent degreaser, would biodiesel fit the green credentials for the OP? It may be ludicrously expensive for this purpose though, just a thought
  • harry-s
    harry-s Posts: 295
    I've used this stuff in the past:

http://www.simplegreen.co.uk/
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    just put it in the dishwasher
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,646
    I find that urine mixed with instant coffee works quite well.