Kona Stinky deluxe 2009 dismantle for respray.

Clunk84
Clunk84 Posts: 3
edited September 2018 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all new to forum. I’ve got a stinky that I need to dismantle for a spray is there any advice and tips on how to do this. Even a a walkthrough somewhere online. I have looked but can’t find nothing. Will post picks if it’s journey.
Thanks.

Comments

• steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,449
    I have only ever done one frame and that was a bike I bought for my grandson. The bike was a dull mid brown and pale blue, not something to delight the heart of an 9-year old! He wanted Audi Laser red.

Because it is cheap and robust, I was going to have my grandson's bike plastic coated. But it uses an oven as part of the curing process. The bike's rear triangle is carbon fibre and I wasn't sure what the heat would do the resin, so I had to opt for a more standard spray paint finish. I persuaded my local hole in the wall body shop to do it for me. But I had to do all the preparation.

Strip everything off, everything. All components, stickers, decals, plasticy bits, helicopter tape, everything!

Rub down the surface, everywhere and get it smooth. Fill any gouges and dents. Rub down again. Then give it a thin coat of undercoat. Once it is properly dry rub it down again. If you leave any scratches or imperfections at this stage, they will be shown up by the final finish.

If you have any faces that don't want to see paint, like where the calipers bolt to, or the bottom bracket. Then they have to be covered. I stuck masking tape on and then shaved off the overlap with a brand new craft knife. Easier than it sounds. Ditto with any holes in the frame, top and bottom of the head tube. The hardest to do were the holes that contained bearings, but were painted up to the edge. Remove the bearings, clean it all so it is grease free. The put the masking tape inside the hole! You will have to put several pieces in in fact as many as it takes to do the job. Then again cut them off flush to the top of the hole with your craft knife. Don't worry, you will get the tape out later.

There may be better ways to do this, but I too couldn't find anything on the 'net, so I just did what seemed right. It all worked out fine. :D

One of the things I decided to alter on the bike was the way the gear cables were held. Previously, the outer gear cables were in many pieces and were held in several aluminium stubs sticking up from the frame (standard for many decades). I wanted the bike to have continuous outer cables instead of the interrupted ones. Using a Dremmel, I drilled out the small holes in the stubs so that they were the same size as the big hole on the opposite side and tested that a piece of outer cable passed through easily. I made sure it wasn't a tight fit, to allow for a thickness of paint to be on the inside when I came to fit the cables for real.

When I got the frame back from the spray shop, it had been hardened off under infra-red lamps, just like the car bodywork does. But the finish still felt slightly tacky and left fingerprints. But I just left it in my garage for a few days and it hardened off perfectly (without any fingerprints). So ask for advice from your spray shop.
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    What is the budget for this.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Clunk84
    Clunk84 Posts: 3
    Thanks for the replies. My mate owns a garage and does a lot of custom works. So he is dealing with the paint job. Not really thought of a budget. What do you suggest then?
    Thanks.
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    Up to you how much you want to spend. It could be done from £20 using spray cans to £1000s for custom paint with 24 ct gold inlays studded with swarovski crystals.

Also to consider is do you want to just smarten it up or restore to be like original paint.
  • As a price guide, a professional powder coat job,which involves
    an acid bath dip to remove old coating, a bead blast to texture
    the surface for good coating adhesion, a base powder coat, a custom colour
    mix coat then a clear coat, all baked on, costs me £120 incl VAT