Merckx San Remo 76 Internal Cabling

norfolkwhite
norfolkwhite Posts: 23
edited June 2018 in Workshop
Don't know whether anyone has one of these frames (or if other Merckx frames are the same) but I acquired one of these recently which originally had an eTap groupset installed. I now want to install a mechanical groupset but when you remove the plate underneath the BB to access the internal cabling there are no cable guides or anything to accommodate the cables, just a small hole for the cable to pass internally down the rear stay.

Not sure if there is another part intended to be in there when you run mechanical or if you just run a bit of inner sleeve on top / around the carbon BB shell, which seems a bit of a corner cut in the frame design.

Going to drop a line to Merckx but wasn't sure how much assistance I would get given that they are now owned by Ridley so thought I would give here a shot as well.

Cheers in advance.

Comments

• i.bhamra
    i.bhamra Posts: 304
    No experience of this frame but have built other bikes with internal cabling that similarly don't have cable guides around the BB.

I just put a small section of PTFE tubing (~1.3m-1.5mm I.D.) over the sections of inner that will most likely sit against the outside of the BB shell. With the appropriate cable tension there is no need for a guide here.

If you used outer cable I don't think it would stay in place leading to rattling, increased friction when shifting and damage to cable inner and possible BB shell/frame
  • i.bhamra wrote:
    No experience of this frame but have built other bikes with internal cabling that similarly don't have cable guides around the BB.

I just put a small section of PTFE tubing (~1.3m-1.5mm I.D.) over the sections of inner that will most likely sit against the outside of the BB shell. With the appropriate cable tension there is no need for a guide here.

If you used outer cable I don't think it would stay in place leading to rattling, increased friction when shifting and damage to cable inner and possible BB shell/frame

Cheers for the tip - I'll give that a go.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    yup - generally no guides in any of these sort of frames.

as above works perfectly - also helps to take out the bb when threading cables down so you can get hold of them easier.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • yup - generally no guides in any of these sort of frames.

as above works perfectly - also helps to take out the bb when threading cables down so you can get hold of them easier.

Great - thanks for confirming.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    pleasure dude - happy to help any time.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.