£2000 MTB that ISNT a Stumpjumper

anthonysjb
anthonysjb Posts: 53
edited June 2018 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys,

I've been (un)fortunate enough to receive a £2000 voucher for Wheelies from an insurance company, and am looking to buy my first mountain bike in a decade with it.

I'm after a 150mm travel full suspension, and am drawn to the new Stumpjumper!

...however, its out of stock.

What would you recommend as an alternative that can be sourced through wheelies? Anything from £1500 to 3000 considered!

Many thanks
Anthony

Comments

  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Giant Trance 2.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

    Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,441
    I have never even seen one, but the bikes by Polygon review well.

    https://www.wheelies.co.uk/shop/p117427 ... -Bike.aspx
  • anthonysjb
    anthonysjb Posts: 53
    I'll have a look at both of those, thanks. Should also add I'm after a 29er. Cheers
  • hantstooflat
    hantstooflat Posts: 122
    Wait until it's back in stock?
    “Jij bent niet van suiker gemaakt”
  • anthonysjb
    anthonysjb Posts: 53
    Wait until it's back in stock?

    Wheelies have said the model I'm after ('19 Alloy Comp 29er size M) may not be back in stock until September! After something for summer so looking at the alternatives.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Better specced than the Stumpy, contemporary geometry, we don't get them much in the UK but common elsewhere.
    https://www.wheelies.co.uk/shop/p115503 ... -Bike.aspx
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,441
    anthonysjb wrote:
    I'll have a look at both of those, thanks. Should also add I'm after a 29er. Cheers

    The Polygon I linked to is a 27.5" mid fat, so the wheel diameter will be 29".
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    anthonysjb wrote:
    I'll have a look at both of those, thanks. Should also add I'm after a 29er. Cheers

    The Polygon I linked to is a 27.5" mid fat, so the tyre rolling diameter will be 29".
    FTFY
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • 898kor
    898kor Posts: 81
    anthonysjb wrote:
    Hi guys,

    I've been (un)fortunate enough to receive a £2000 voucher for Wheelies from an insurance company, and am looking to buy my first mountain bike in a decade with it.

    I'm after a 150mm travel full suspension, and am drawn to the new Stumpjumper!

    ...however, its out of stock.

    What would you recommend as an alternative that can be sourced through wheelies? Anything from £1500 to 3000 considered!

    Many thanks
    Anthony

    Whyte S150?
    Bossnut V2
    Levo FSR Comp
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    898kor wrote:
    anthonysjb wrote:
    £2000 voucher for Wheelies

    Whyte S150?
    Link to an S150 on Wheelies?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • anthonysjb
    anthonysjb Posts: 53
    The Rookie wrote:
    Better specced than the Stumpy, contemporary geometry, we don't get them much in the UK but common elsewhere.
    https://www.wheelies.co.uk/shop/p115503 ... -Bike.aspx

    Not about the yellow and red paint, and £2900 for the higher model a bit much for a brand I don't think is that cool (it matters!)

    Yeah no Whytes.

    Still struggling! Trying hard to resist the 27.5 Stumpy Comp, really do want a 29er

    All suggestions welcome!
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Marin Rift Zone or Orbea Occam? Both available with wagon wheels, and Wheelies stock them
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • anthonysjb
    anthonysjb Posts: 53
    After a bit more travel than those, should've said. Opinions on 27.5 vs 29er Stumpy? Going to be used in Surrey Hills, bike parks etc, cheers
  • billycool
    billycool Posts: 833
    Wheel size can be a bit of a red herring.

    There isn't a lot in it, so if you can get the bike you want in 27.5, I'd buy it.

    Personally, I prefer smaller wheel sizes for better tight technical stuff and I really don't think you'd notice much difference.
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    anthonysjb wrote:
    After a bit more travel than those, should've said. Opinions on 27.5 vs 29er Stumpy? Going to be used in Surrey Hills, bike parks etc, cheers

    I've never been a fan of 29" wheels on longer travel full suss bikes, so I'd take a 27.5 over a 29er without hesitation.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • RichardSmart
    RichardSmart Posts: 387
    Or even a 26" wheeled bike - I've got a (quite old) Scott Genius MC10 which still manages the Black route at Glentress with no problems...
  • billycool
    billycool Posts: 833
    I still ride 26" on my HT and FS. They're still round and seem to work okay.

    I can happily keep up with folk on bigger wheels.

    Maybe it's about rider ability and not wheel size......
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Agreed, my NukeProof is 26" and I'm still more than happy with it.

    If buying new you have to go with the market though, and 27.5 does seem to current default for these types of bikes.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    anthonysjb wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:
    Better specced than the Stumpy, contemporary geometry, we don't get them much in the UK but common elsewhere.
    https://www.wheelies.co.uk/shop/p115503 ... -Bike.aspx

    Not about the yellow and red paint, and £2900 for the higher model a bit much for a brand I don't think is that cool (it matters!)
    !
    You can't see the colour when riding it, and they all look the same when muddy! Not sure where you get the £2900 from, its shown as sub £2K
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • anthonysjb
    anthonysjb Posts: 53
    Well, I've ordered a 27.5" 2019 Stumpjumper Alloy Comp. Spoke to more people and listened to your points. Cheers
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Nice one, enjoy! ;)
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Enjoy!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.