Coed-y-Brenin

marcarm
marcarm Posts: 134
edited June 2018 in Tour & expedition
I have booked a week camping and biking for the end of July, staying about a mile away from the visitor centre.

What I wanted to know, I'm considering taking the road bike with me as well, are there any nice places for road cycling or while I'm there should I stick to the MTB?

I will say that I live in Essex, so road cycling here is easy, but there are not many places within easy reach of me for MTB, so i'm in 2 minds whether to spend the week MTB'ing as I can do that anytime?

What say you?

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    Gosh... there are so many outstanding climbs in the area... don't know where to begin... it's really down to how far you want to go... there are no 20-30 miles loops though... but if you like it hard, then try this (leave early to avoid traffic on the A470)

https://www.strava.com/routes/14003589
    left the forum March 2023
  • davebradswmb
    davebradswmb Posts: 447
    Some of the tracks in the Coed y Brenin forest are metalled, and many of those that aren't have a good gravel surface that I don't mind taking my 23mm tyres over so you could ride away from the A470 if you don't like traffic. There's some vicious climbs out that way though. The A470 isn't that bad a road for cycling though, it has a good surface and is mostly wide enough for the vehicles to give you plenty of room.

You're not for from Bwlch-y-Groes either, which is a classic tough climb if you want to test yourself, you'll find it (or most of it at least) on Ugo's route.