Forum home Road cycling forum Road buying advice

New ribble cgr titanium

k3vinjam3sk3vinjam3s Posts: 266
edited July 2018 in Road buying advice
Opinions on this new bike from ribble.

https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribble-cgr-ti/

I like it and im tempted. I dont plan on going off road any time soon but struggle to find a good value road going titanium equivalent. No reviews anywhere for it yet though.

Posts

  • alan_shermanalan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    Looks interesting. I prefer external cables though. Alternatives would be from Dolan, Planet X Tempest or the Sonder Camino Ti, maybe the Sabbath AR1 or Spa Cycles Elan.
  • k3vinjam3sk3vinjam3s Posts: 266
    Looks interesting. I prefer external cables though. Alternatives would be from Dolan, Planet X Tempest or the Sonder Camino Ti, maybe the Sabbath AR1 or Spa Cycles Elan.

    I prefer internal. Will look at other options u suggested. Dolan seems very similar on spec and price too. But prefer the ribbles branding
  • svettysvetty Posts: 1,904
    Kinesis GF Ti another option at a reasonable price......
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • arlowoodarlowood Posts: 2,538
    Planet X are doing a "build your own" Ti Pickenflick offer. Bit more cross than road orientated and only offered with mechanical discs but at the price you could do some upgardes

    https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBOOPICKA ... 2ca1f51acf

    or maybe their Spitfire - definitely road orientated

    https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXSPITR ... ed-edition
  • k3vinjam3sk3vinjam3s Posts: 266
    Prefer internal cables over external.
  • shortfallshortfall Posts: 3,287
    k3vinjam3s wrote:
    Looks interesting. I prefer external cables though. Alternatives would be from Dolan, Planet X Tempest or the Sonder Camino Ti, maybe the Sabbath AR1 or Spa Cycles Elan.

    I prefer internal. Will look at other options u suggested. Dolan seems very similar on spec and price too. But prefer the ribbles branding

    Before I say this I've owned a Ribble so I'm not a brand snob, but really? Saying you prefer Ribble branding over Dolan is like saying you prefer Netto over Lidl. Just buy the bike for what it is, a decent titanium frame that'll give you just as much cycling pleasure as something with a fancy decal stuck on the downtube. As an example, if I remember rightly Planet X used to sell rebadged Lynskey frames at a fraction of the cost (don't think their current ti frames are Lynskeys however).
  • k3vinjam3sk3vinjam3s Posts: 266
    Shortfall wrote:
    k3vinjam3s wrote:
    Looks interesting. I prefer external cables though. Alternatives would be from Dolan, Planet X Tempest or the Sonder Camino Ti, maybe the Sabbath AR1 or Spa Cycles Elan.

    I prefer internal. Will look at other options u suggested. Dolan seems very similar on spec and price too. But prefer the ribbles branding

    Before I say this I've owned a Ribble so I'm not a brand snob, but really? Saying you prefer Ribble branding over Dolan is like saying you prefer Netto over Lidl. Just buy the bike for what it is, a decent titanium frame that'll give you just as much cycling pleasure as something with a fancy decal stuck on the downtube. As an example, if I remember rightly Planet X used to sell rebadged Lynskey frames at a fraction of the cost (don't think their current ti frames are Lynskeys however).

    Nothing to do with the named branding just prefer the subtler logos on the ribble. So not really wanting a famcy decal.
  • svettysvetty Posts: 1,904
    Shortfall wrote:
    [ As an example, if I remember rightly Planet X used to sell rebadged Lynskey frames at a fraction of the cost (don't think their current ti frames are Lynskeys however).
    I think this is the exception rather than the rule however. Most Ribble/Planet X/Dolan etc frames are Chinese made. Not that there is anything wrong with them ( I own a Ribble and a Planet X) but they aren't generally made by a mainstream brand.
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • mrfpbmrfpb Posts: 4,543
    It looks like a proper do-it-all frame given it can take 650B wheels with 47mm tyres. The 105/Aksium set-up looks good value, and once you get the loyalty discount, then a set of winter (or summer) wheels would be an affordable addition. The SRAM 1x off road set up they are offering doesn't really have a proper gear range: 42/36 is not low enough when 105 34/32 is available.


    This could top my list of "next bike" daydreaming.
  • k3vinjam3sk3vinjam3s Posts: 266
    mrfpb wrote:
    It looks like a proper do-it-all frame given it can take 650B wheels with 47mm tyres. The 105/Aksium set-up looks good value, and once you get the loyalty discount, then a set of winter (or summer) wheels would be an affordable addition. The SRAM 1x off road set up they are offering doesn't really have a proper gear range: 42/36 is not low enough when 105 34/32 is available.


    This could top my list of "next bike" daydreaming.

    Will be wanting the ultegra di2 build. Whats the loyalty discount they have after a big purchase?
  • mrfpbmrfpb Posts: 4,543
    k3vinjam3s wrote:
    mrfpb wrote:
    It looks like a proper do-it-all frame given it can take 650B wheels with 47mm tyres. The 105/Aksium set-up looks good value, and once you get the loyalty discount, then a set of winter (or summer) wheels would be an affordable addition. The SRAM 1x off road set up they are offering doesn't really have a proper gear range: 42/36 is not low enough when 105 34/32 is available.


    This could top my list of "next bike" daydreaming.

    Will be wanting the ultegra di2 build. Whats the loyalty discount they have after a big purchase?
    15%
  • jamesesjameses Posts: 653
    Do it :) I have a Sabbath September AR1, which is very similar in it's intended use - endurance road geometry with the capability of fitting wide tyres for some gravel/light off road - and I love it. It's my winter / bikepacking bike, but it doesn't hold me back on the club runs at all and the ride feel from titanium (and wide tyres!) is lovely over our broken roads.
  • SDC10SDC10 Posts: 1
    I've just got one, arrived last week and had it first outing at the weekend. A short 30Km blast around the local surrey lanes to get the riding position sorted. I went for a custom build, slightly upgraded from the 'Commuter' spec with Ultegra groupset and Continental GP4000S II in the 28mm. I swapped out the stock wheels on arrival for a set of MASON x HUNT 4 Season Disc Wheelset to save some weight. The bike weighs about 9kg with the hunt wheels on my luggage scales so accuracy maybe a little off.

    I have been looking at the Planet X tempest and Sonder Camino Ti for a while but neither quite ticked all the boxes of titanium, disc brakes, good tyre clearance, thru axel, mud guard/rack mounts, di2 routing and internal cable routing. When I saw that ribble cgr ti had just been released with all those things it was job done, although purchased with a little trepidation given there are no reviews out.

    First outing the most noticeable thing is how much smoother the ride is compared to my 2009 Trek 1.7 with 25mm tyres. Not sure if this is the tyres or the titanium but lanes that are usually quite bumpy felt much smoother to rider over. It's a comfortable riding position for me, a bit less aggressive than the trek and climbs nicely, felt stiff enough pushing hard on the pedals. The welds on the frame are very tidy and the finish looks very good. I particularly like the way they have shaped the chainstays for tyre clearance rather than gone down the route of using welded up plate.

    I don't think you would regret getting one if its the type of do it all bike you are after. It's by no means a light race bike but I've got it to mainly use on the road with light track/gravel duties and I think it suits that use very well.
  • k3vinjam3sk3vinjam3s Posts: 266
    Thanks for the detailed response.

    In the end i opted for a custom burls titanium build. Ribble was not road orientated enough. I also needed the xl frame and they didnt have a date for it being in stock.
  • alan_shermanalan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    Care to share your Burls specification? i want a road bike with big tyres, mudguard and rack ability, not too bothered about off-road ability, and prefer to save weight. What have you cpecced?

    I've been looking at the Enigma Etape Disc for ideas.
  • k3vinjam3sk3vinjam3s Posts: 266
    Care to share your Burls specification? i want a road bike with big tyres, mudguard and rack ability, not too bothered about off-road ability, and prefer to save weight. What have you cpecced?

    I've been looking at the Enigma Etape Disc for ideas.

    Experience with justin burls has been great. I wanted a comfortable frame with mudguard mounts that i can use for commuting and long rides. Ill be using di2 so wanted internal cables too. I had a conversation with justin and he asked what i wanted and advised on what would be good for me. After a few emails i had some geometry plans sent. He basically just adjusted the geometry of my current bike to make it have a bit less reach and higher stack. Everything is customised though. If you need larger wheel clearance thar that can be done. My spec is different to what you need but you have unlimited options. Ill be building the bike myself and just having justin supply the frame fork and headset.

    Heres a link to burls prices. Looak at the reviews on his site too as a range of bikes are there.

    http://burls.co.uk/prices.php
  • maddog 2maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    Not a Reilly Gradient though, is it...
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
Sign In or Register to comment.