Tyre upgrade- Worth it?

mills2510
mills2510 Posts: 36
edited June 2018 in Road general
I currently have the standard Maxxis Rouler which came on my bike as the tyre. Reading around this seems to be one of the best/ simplest upgrades to a bike that you can make.

So suggestions welcome as to an upgrade? I have looked at the gp4000 2 but cant decide if at 30 quid a pop they are worth it?

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    After a few punctures you might want to splash out.

GP4000s are very resistant and roll really well too.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,005
    edited June 2018
    I'm sure there are decent cheaper tyres but I went to GP4000s about 10 years ago and I've stayed with these (or 4 seasons on my winter bike) ever since. They give me more confidence on corners, reasonably light and they last well.

Most people are now going for 25 or 28 mm (but check you have clearance for latter especially) for better comfort and apparently better rolling properties.
  • Ivorc
    Ivorc Posts: 1
    Same here. I am on Continental GP4000sII and have been for about nine months. Since changing I have only had one puncture between the two tires which is not bad going considering I do about 100 miles per week. The rolling properties on the GP4000 are fantastic and you can actually feel the diffence once you put them on. I know they’re expensive at about £40 each but well worth the investment as they last a heck of a lot longer than the cheaper tyres, like the old Vittoria Zafiro’s I had before.
  • #CSB
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Tyres make a huge difference and is one of the cheapest ways to upgrade your ride.

I only ever use gp4000 ii now. Brilliant tyre. Fast and good puncture protection. Just keep an eye on the sidewalls.
  • Sutton_Rider
    Sutton_Rider Posts: 493
    +1 for GP4000 - I agree with Ivorc.
  • Mapaputsi
    Mapaputsi Posts: 104
    Another vote for GP4000 SIIs. There’s a reason everyone uses them, and you never ever get a discount on them :lol:
  • And another vote for them from me. I have 28mm on my bike and love them. So much grip/confidence in corners.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,846
    I've still yet to take my 28mm GP4000 S2s and latex tubes out for a ride, or my Hunt wheels, only had them 4/2 weeks respectively. :oops:

... Trying to use them as a carrot to get some non-bike stuff done, getting there.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,042
    mills2510 wrote:
    I currently have the standard Maxxis Rouler which came on my bike as the tyre. Reading around this seems to be one of the best/ simplest upgrades to a bike that you can make.

So suggestions welcome as to an upgrade? I have looked at the gp4000 2 but cant decide if at 30 quid a pop they are worth it?

I don't know this tire but unless it is complete pants I would run them 'till they wear out personally. I have used GP4000 but the sidewalls are too weak for the roads round here (given the cost). I now run what I can get deals on that are around the 220/230 gram mark and I don't find it makes a huge difference to me.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme