carbon pads?

chatlow
chatlow Posts: 845
edited June 2018 in Workshop
This may sound ridiculous but I have just bought a 2nd hand Cervelo P2 and I am going to use my own SLR aero wheels on it which have a carbon rim. I therefore need to ensure I am using carbons pads. Previous owner also had carbon wheels but is there a way to confirm the pads I have on this are 100% carbon?! I was just going to buy some more but these have plenty of life left on them.

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Id make sure that the pads haven't got any alloy flakes in them. Even if they are pads for carbon if they've been used on alloy wheels they'd be wearing your carbon down more.

Other than that - check after ride to see they're not wearing the carbon ?
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,532
    have you removed a pad to see if there's any manufacturer info on it?
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    chatlow wrote:
    but is there a way to confirm the pads I have on this are 100% carbon?!

I may have misunderstood this, but no brake pads are '100% carbon'. Pads for carbon rims just need to be a different set than the set you use for alu rims, if you are switching wheels, in order to avoid cross-contamination or rim damage.. There's not much else to it, really.
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    There are no carbon pads. Mr. Magura had some carbon rotors made for disc brakes, but that is not a consumer available part.
  • chatlow
    sorry bad wording - not 100% carbon material, just applicable. I'm yet to remove the rear pads, will look later. The fronts are red and same make as the carbon wheels he had, so they look fine.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    chatlow wrote:
    sorry bad wording - not 100% carbon material, just applicable. I'm yet to remove the rear pads, will look later. The fronts are red and same make as the carbon wheels he had, so they look fine.

The pads don't need to be 'carbon material' as such either. They just need to be a different set of pads to the ones which you would use on a second set of wheels, assuming the second set of wheels were alu rims..
  • chatlow
    Imposter wrote:
    chatlow wrote:

The pads don't need to be 'carbon material' as such either. They just need to be a different set of pads to the ones which you would use on a second set of wheels, assuming the second set of wheels were alu rims..

Oh, so as long as the pads haven't had any use with Alu rims, then any pads could be used for carbon wheels?
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    In theory yes, in practice the pads designed for carbon rims are formulated to provide optimal braking on that material. As such it makes sense to use them. Given that braking on carbon rims is already at a disadvantage over alloy rims it makes sense to optimise braking as much as possible.
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • chatlow
    Svetty wrote:
    In theory yes, in practice the pads designed for carbon rims are formulated to provide optimal braking on that material. As such it makes sense to use them. Given that braking on carbon rims is already at a disadvantage over alloy rims it makes sense to optimise braking as much as possible.

Right, so I do want pads designed for carbon rims and hoped this could be visually confirmed. It sounds like you can use normal pads but only if they haven't had previous use of an alu rim and performance might not be as good.

I will head to the bike shop now and pick up a set.
  • Bumo_b
    Bumo_b Posts: 211
    Try something like these, have not checked the price and many retailers and not just Wiggle sell them, but I find them excellent.
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/swissstop-flash ... rake-pads/
  • chatlow
    Bumo_b wrote:
    Try something like these, have not checked the price and many retailers and not just Wiggle sell them, but I find them excellent.
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/swissstop-flash ... rake-pads/

woah, they are pricey! I was going to go for lifeline which are super cheap but mixed reviews so grabbing some giant branded instead which are 15 quid.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    I use Campag carbon-specific (red) pads on my non-Campag carbon rims. Again not cheap but they work well. The Swisstop Black Prince Pads are generally well regarded. Be aware that a number of wheel manufacturers specify a particular type of pads and that you can invalidate your wheels warranty in the event that you need to claim and then report to them that you've used non-approved pads.
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D