Please help me choose between those two bikes, first time road bike.

tomaz26
tomaz26 Posts: 12
edited June 2018 in Road buying advice
Hello. I found two bikes I like and both are currently heavily discounted. I am 38 and this will be my first road bike. I looked at CX and gravel which I think would be better, but they are expensive. So I will probably keep my Cube cross bike with front suspension, which I will use for harder climbs (with 46/36/26 tripple in front) and rough terrain and just buy regular road bike. But at the same time I still one this road bike to be able to take at least 32 mm tire, to make it more comfortable.. So to cut the story short, I located two 2017 heavily discounted bikes which both fit this profile. Both can be bought for 750 GBP which I think is a great price.

1 - Scott Speedster 10 disc 2017, hydraulic disc brakes, 105 group
2 - Merida Cyclo Cross 50 2017, also 105 group but mechanical disc brakes, but can fit even wider tire..

Both weight slighlty less than 10kg, which is not that light, but ok for disc bike I guess it is not that bad. I weight 67 kg so I can easier get to 65 kg and make the difference there :):):)

Also Scott Speedster is only available in size 54 (M), Merida comes in 54 and 56. I am 5.10 (177cm), but with long legs (my inseam is 34 inch or 86 cm) and short torso. So I guess 54 would be fine anyway.

This will be my first road bike so I know there are much better bikes for me, like Trek Domane etc, but they are also twice the price. I fear that if I do not like road bike with drop bars I will loose too much money. Those two bikes above are so discounted that I can sell them here for almost the same price for sure.

Which one would you buy and why? I have read about some problems with Merida CX 500 and some very good comments too and the same for Scott. Most reviews are not that good, but they are for the originally priced 1.400 GBP which for sure is way too much. But for 750 GBP...

thanks for help guys

Tomaz

Comments

• tomaz26
    tomaz26 Posts: 12
    oxoman wrote:
    Out of the 2 the Scott would be my choice purely because it's got hydraulic discs. Have a look for Giant TCX SLR 2 2117 well worth the extra.

I am leaning more towards Scott too.. As for Giant TCX SLR 2, it only has Tiagra, which with 2 x 10 is not ideal for upgrading later, and it comes with 36/46 front and only 12-28, so again costs right from the start to upgrade to at least 12-32. I live in quite hilly area with lots of hills left and right. For almost the same money I can get also GT Grade CX Rival 2017, which would I think be better choice. 1x drivetrain, 40 front, 11-32 back, lighter, hydraulic brakes.