Do I need to replace this tyre?

WheelMeals
WheelMeals Posts: 86
edited June 2018 in Road general
Hi There, my rear tyre (Mavic yksion pro Clincher) has got around a 2mm slash in it (pic attached) on this link
https://ibb.co/gSy99o

Only done ~2700 km in last year, do I need to replace it, thoughts?

PS: Can you repair minor dings slashes like this, think I read 1mm was the threshold?

Comments

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,645
    If its not through to the carcass, just use superglue or ignore it.

If it is through to the carcass, chances are that its a fraction of the size and you can get patches. The issue is not that it will propagate, but that the tube will bulge through it. Personally I'd probably ignore it either way.

Or alternatively replace it simply because it is a Mavic yskion .
  • Or alternatively replace it simply because it is a Mavic yskion .

This
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • WheelMeals
    WheelMeals Posts: 86
    Thanks folks. Will get the superglue out!

PS: Wasn't aware was a poorly rated tyre (came stock on my Canyon), will investigate other selections when upgrading
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    WheelMeals wrote:

PS: Wasn't aware was a poorly rated tyre (came stock on my Canyon), will investigate other selections when upgrading

There is nothing wrong with the Mavic tyres - in my experience they don't last as long as Continental GP4000s - so maybe they will not last much more than 3000km
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,554
    'tis but a scratch, had worse
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Bumo_b
    Bumo_b Posts: 211
    As said earlier, just superglue, or even better, the epoxy resin sold in pound land. Doesn't become so brittle, and because so cheap, it never hardens up 100% and is a tiny bit malleable, perfect for tyres. I have tried wet suit repair glue but just too messy and takes forever to harden up enough to ride on. I have done this and never replace a tyre due to a gash below about 7-8mm.
  • stevewj
    stevewj Posts: 227
    I use a spot of silicon sealer (like round the bath) - leave overnight to dry - advantage over superglue is that it flexes where the glue solidifies and cracks
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    Just ignore it, tyre isn't going to explode.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    WheelMeals wrote:

There isn't. I use the Yksion Pro UST in tubeless guise and haven't had any problems. I agree that they aren't as good as the Conti GP4000s II, but then nothing is IMO. Shame Conti don't make tubeless road tyres.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.