100,000ft of climbing in 700 miles

tomisitt
tomisitt Posts: 257
edited June 2018 in Road general
So I’ve just embarked on what (for me) is the ultimate bike trip - I’m riding the length of the WW1 Italian Front in the Italian Alps and Dolomites. This post should probably be in the Touring forum, but it’s pretty moribund over there so I’m posting it here.

The trip will take me to most of the significant battlefields of the Italian Front, and will include climbs of the Stelvio, Gavia, Tonale, Carlomagno, Duron, Fugazze, Monte Grappa, Rolle, Pordoi, Fedaia, Falzarego, Giau, Tre Croci, Tre Cime di Lavaredo, Cima Sappada, Monte Croce, plus some lesser climbs in the Julian Alps.

It will amount to nearly 100,000ft of climbing in 700 miles in three weeks (with half a dozen “rest” days rock-climbing and hiking in the Dolomites), and for the days I’m riding I’ll average 50 miles and 7200ft of climbing.

I’ll be doing it unsupported (taking bike-packing gear and staying in B&Bs) on my titanium Spin Spitfire, running 11-speed Campag Chorus compact with 12-29 cassette. Bike and luggage weigh 15kg, I’m 57 and weigh 81kg. I suspect it’s going to be quite hard hauling my ancient carcass up some substantial mountains!

If anyone’s interested in seeing photos and updates from the trip, they will be here:
@masaccio60 on Twitter
tomisitt on Instagram
facebook.com/bikesandbattlefields/

Wish me luck! My route is here:

https://flic.kr/p/28tmhc8

Comments

• Frank Wilson
    Frank Wilson Posts: 930
    Fair play mate, we are doing 9,000 ft over 70 miles on Monday and I thought that was an epic .
  • Sounds like a perfect holiday, think I'd go with a 32 or 34 cassette though.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • jeatsy
    jeatsy Posts: 26
    I'm no history/geography expert but I'm gonna guess it was the front because it was so bleeding hilly. Very best of luck, you'll have a blast! Would love to cycle round there some day (but maybe April for me, I tend to wilt in the heat).
  • meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    That sounds awesome, will keep an eye on your progress.
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    Wow! Sounds bloody excellent, enjoy!