Winter Bike Frame Recommendations

bmxboy10
bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
edited June 2018 in Road buying advice
I seem to have found myself with a semi decent range of spare parts so thought I may as well build up a cheap winter bike.

On that basis I am looking for frame recommendations based on a budget of around £300 or much less if possible.

The frame is for rim brakes and I would like good tyre clearance for 28-32c tyres.

Mudguard mounts not critical but I want the bike to be enjoyable to ride rather than building up a steel framed tank as I know from experience I won’t want to ride it.

Happy to look at second hand too!

Comments

• arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Planet X RT-58 Alloy for £99 - Threaded BB, mudguard mounts. Not sure about the tyre clearance tho

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FRPXRT58A ... d-frameset

Or if carbon is a possibility - the Pro Carbon frameset is on offer at £260.

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FRPXPCRFF ... d-frameset

Again threaded BB which is always a plus in my book. No mudguard mounts tho but will take 28mm tyres (I know because I'm running 28mm Michelin Pro4 Endurance on my Pro Carbon)
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    One of those blue Ones from Ribble that a billion people have. Timeless winter class.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • londoncommuter
    londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
    solboy10 wrote:

Mudguard mounts not critical but I want the bike to be enjoyable to ride rather than building up a steel framed tank as I know from experience I won’t want to ride it.

Don't do it! Proper mudguards should be a must if this is purely a winter bike.

On the recommendation above, I had the model 1 RT-58 Alloy (which didn't have mounts...) and it was pretty decent and they are a bargain in the routine PlanetX/DFS sales.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    edited June 2018
    One of those blue Ones from Ribble that a billion people have. Timeless winter class.

Definitely a winter bike classic but mine hardly gets used now as it's just so dull to ride. The Kinesis T3 looks ideal although pushing the budget a smidgen.....
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Has the Ribble got the clearance he needs ?

If so then sorted. I'd not bother with carbon for the winter duties.
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    cougie wrote:

23mm clearance apparently
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    solboy10 wrote:
    cougie wrote:

23mm clearance apparently

You can do 25mm GP4000S2's if you change the rear mudguard mount. Bearing in mind these inflated are more like 27mm it gives a decent enough ride.
  • yellowv2
    yellowv2 Posts: 282
    De Rosa Milanino training, has clearance for mudguards.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I think there's a gap in the market for a decent winter frame that will take 30mm tyres and still fit guards. Nobody wants skinny rubber in the winter.
  • matt_n-2
    matt_n-2 Posts: 581
    Dolan Preffisio is another popular one.
    Colnago Master Olympic
    Colnago CLX 3.0
    Colnago Dream
    Giant Trinity Advanced
    Italian steel winter hack
  • imafatman
    imafatman Posts: 351
    arlowood wrote:
    Planet X RT-58 Alloy for £99 - Threaded BB, mudguard mounts. Not sure about the tyre clearance tho

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FRPXRT58A ... d-frameset

How is that even profitable? Aluminium has to be dug out of the ground, refined, processed, made into tubes, they have to be shaped and welded, someone has to farking paint the thing and apply decals and then finally ship it across the world. Oh and it has carbon forks that have to be made too.

For £99? :roll: