SPD Newbie question

jonboyuk
jonboyuk Posts: 40
edited June 2018 in Road beginners
Hey all,

A month ago, I started commuting to work 3 times a week (22 mile round trip). As I'm getting better, incrementally faster and feeling less achy/stronger, I'm feeling like I should attempt to use SPDs.

They scare me :lol:

As an interim measure, I've gone and attached some M324 Combination Pedals. At the moment I'm just using the flats because I'm a big wuss. However I do want to 'man up' and get me some shoes and give these things a go.

So the question is, do any shoes exist to kinda go with the M324s in its truest sense? i.e. If I know I'm approaching somewhere where I need to slow down/stop, I can unclip early, turn the pedal(s) over and use the shoes as flats too? Then I can clip in again when I feel safe? Or is that just not a thing?

Comments

• simon_masterson
    simon_masterson Posts: 2,740
    As above, if you get some of the ‘leisure’ type SPD shoes, they’re pretty similar to walking trainers and the like. You can wind the tension down on SPDs so low that you unclip unintentionally, so you will be fine.
  • jonboyuk
    So if I get leisure SPD shoes, even with the cleat in place, I'll be able to use them on flat at the same time?

Thanks for your comments :)
  • I use a touring shoe and spd combo on my road bike. The sole has a recess for the cleat meaning I can walk freely on them. The pedal had a small cage round it to provide support to the shoe as the sole is not as rigid as regular shoes.

https://www.rutlandcycling.com/108916/p ... black.aspx

https://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/cate ... -12-46284/
  • Thigh_burn
    Thigh_burn Posts: 489
    Yes. MTB or touring shoes will allow you to do what you want. You’ll be surprised how quickly you get used to them.
  • jonboyuk
    Thanks all.

Another idea! As a self confessed newbie, I've seen Shimano do a Click-R system for 60% easier catch and release. There are also Click R shoes which look much like the ones you guys are describing.

Does anyone have experience with the system?
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,110
    I have road shoes with SPD cleats, be aware it is a very very slippy combination on certain surfaces, like wearing skates! I would go for a touring shoe as others have suggested for commuting.

A friend just completed the Route de Grandes Alpes covering 4000m of V+ per day using tennis shoes and flat pedals. He's only just taken up cycling! So you don't absolutely need clipless pedals.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    It’s not so much the SPD / SPD-SL bit of the shoe, that’s the most important thing, in isolation. The shoes that have SPD abilities, tend to be designed more with cycling in mind. A pair of tennis shoes, and flat pedals is fine, it won’t stop you riding at all. But a proper pair of cycling specific shoes, will have stiffer soles, and uppers designed to give flexibility and Breathability, whilst maintaining enough rigidity, to make the experience far more comfortable, for anything more than a trip to the shops / ride round some parks etc. Riding longer distances with anything other than cycle specific shoes, makes it more of a chew than it needs to be. It’s like the difference between doing a ride in a pair of normal trousers / shorts, and doing the same ride in cycle specific kit, with padding, and no seams to dig into fleshy bits.