James5000James5000 Posts: 15
edited June 2018 in Cyclocross
Hi,

Trying to decide on the Trek Crockett 5 Disc

or

The Giant TCX SLR 2 2019

Giant is a few hundred dollars cheaper

Biggest difference is that the Trek has SRAM Rival and Giant has APEX 1

Outside of that (wish I knew the weights), I do not know much, all help appreciated, thanks

• oxomanoxoman Posts: 10,468
    James not sure which spec bikes your on about US or elsewhere as they are different to UK bikes I believe. It's easier if you posted links on the post to allow easy comparison between the correct bikes. Personally I prefer the TCX but I'm biased as I have the 2016 TCX.
    Too many bikes according to Mrs O.
    Looking at the specs for me it would be the TCX, it has the easier gears of the 2. The TCX also has hydraulic brakes with giants conduct converter system rather than tektro spyre mechanical brakes on the trek.
  • James5000James5000 Posts: 15
    Thanks, not to mention it's like $300.00 cheaper - do you know how how can find out the weight of the bike?
    From memory I think I found that info out on a review somewhere, as the UK Giant website didn't show it. Mine in medium was about 10kg but that's with various add on bits, should be well under that given various upgrades I've done to date. I'd hazard a guess and say it's going to be similar to the trek.
  • trek_dantrek_dan Posts: 1,366
    The alloy TCX's are pretty tank like in standard form, I'm guessing somewhere around 10.5kg whereas the Crocket is 9kg according to the Trek website. The Crocket frame is lighter, full carbon fork and better wheels as standard. Trade off is more expensive and cable discs.
    TCX SLR 1 alloy in standard form is 9.6kg apparently according to a reviewer. By the time you add saddle pack / bottle and pedals plus overweight rider it won't matter anyway what the difference is.
  • andypandyp Posts: 8,856
    I've owned and ridden both. I still have the Crockett, the Giant is long gone. The geometry is quite different between them and I always found the Giant to be a real pig to handle at lower speed, you really had to wrestle it around corners. The Crockett is one of those bikes that makes you grin every time you ride it.