Mavic crossmax wheelset boost conversion

Sta81
Sta81 Posts: 56
edited June 2018 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello guys,

i recently bought a new boost frame and have a Mavic crossmax wheelset that I'd like to use. Are there any adapters that convert the wheels from 15/100 - 12/142 to boost 15/110 - 12/148??
Thanx!

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Not a great idea as the discs will have to be spaced out to match the calliper location (5mm front and 3mm rear) and the cassette will never be in the right place (3mm too close to the bike centreline). But yes, can be done.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    ^^^^ yes, it can be done two ways.

There may be end caps available for specific wheels or generic kit which consists of spacers that sit on the axle. I saw on another forum concerned expressed about the the sheer forces on the axle with the latter, rightly or wrongly I'm not sure that is a problem as in my opinion is no different to the force on the axle where the wheel meets the frame.

The disc brake rotord need to be spaced out with an adater plus longer bolts, this will put more stress on the hub bolt hole lugs.

Finally the cassette will be too far in, for which there is no correction, the mech may not reach the large sprocket and chain line will be only by 3 mm.

Summary, yes it can be done and there may be some issues but the price of the kits is significantly less than a set of wheels or boost hubs, I reckon its worth a shot.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    02GF74 wrote:
    ^^^^ yes, it can be done two ways.

There may be end caps available for specific wheels or generic kit which consists of spacers that sit on the axle. I saw on another forum concerned expressed about the the sheer forces on the axle with the latter, rightly or wrongly I'm not sure that is a problem as in my opinion is no different to the force on the axle where the wheel meets the frame.
    You seem unaware of or ignoring the fact that 12mm hub axles (not the through axle part) sit in slots in the dropout and you could ride it (very gently) without the axle in place, with spacers the axle takes any load not resisted by the friction between the hub axle and the spacers.

http://bearframesupplies.co.uk/12mm-fro ... ess-steel/
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    T deed, else the wheel would drop right down when installed, is what happens when quoting from other posts, lol.