OT: alternatives to marge when cooking

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,098
edited June 2018 in Commuting chat
I have a delicious recipe for flapjack type energy bars, have made a batch and very tasty (kids ate loads...)

But I'm concerned that the recipe uses a lot of fat in the form of cooking marge

Is there a lower fat alternative that anyone can recommend?

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• rower63
    rower63 Posts: 1,991
    The bigger problem (than whether or not they are fattening) with solid-type fats like margerine is that they are more likely to be or contain so-called trans fats, which are extremely bad for various reasons. I'd use olive oil.
    Dolan Titanium ADX 2016
    Ridley Noah FAST 2013
    Bottecchia/Campagnolo 1990
    Carrera Parva Hybrid 2016
    Hoy Sa Calobra 002 2014 [off duty]
    Storck Absolutist 2011 [off duty]
    http://www.slidingseat.net/cycling/cycling.html
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Butter.

As they are energy bars, the fat shouldn't be a problem.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    Butter.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    I was hoping this was going to be about the Simpsons.

In that case, there are no alternatives unless Homer is doing BBQ.

Oh and don't forget, you don't make friends with salad.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Lard, Goose fat, butter. It needs to be solid at room temp, and natural rather than artificial. How about bacon and goose fat flapjacks?

More seriously

Oils (liquid at room temp) break down at lower cooking temperatures and release carcinogens into the food. So oils for salads and dressings, solid fats for frying or high heat cooking. When I make flapjacks I tend to boil the sugars and fat together in a pan, so I use a solid fat. as one of my kids is on a dairy free diet I use stork (foil wrapped). If I'm doing a batch for me on the bike I use butter (foil wrapped). Using a spread where fat is reduced by adding water just defeat the object of the exercise. I'd rather reduce sugar content first, as fats satiate the appetite sooner than sugars.
  • secretsam
    cooldad wrote:
    Butter.

cooldad wrote:
    Butter.

hopkinb wrote:
    Butter.

Seriously? Butter? I used Stork

• hopkinb
    Stork margarine has about as much similarity to butter as does mashed up stork the bird. Maybe the colour, but in stork, that yellow is food colouring.
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    hopkinb wrote:
    Stork margarine has about as much similarity to butter as does mashed up stork the bird. Maybe the colour, but in stork, that yellow is food colouring.

My thoughts on the thread is that marge isn't an alternative to anything, so don't know why the OP was using it in the first place.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,551
    Coconut oil? The solid variety at room temp..
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    butter is less harmful than margarine... at least it comes from an animal, rather than a chemical plant. Effectively you are eating stuff which evolution has not prepared you for... it's a gamble.

The world is divided about coconut oil... is it superfood or plain junk? Depends who you want to believe... it is pretty much 100% saturated fat... although they are not the same fatty acids you would find in animal fat
    left the forum March 2023
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    mrfpb wrote:
    I'd rather reduce sugar content first, as fats satiate the appetite sooner than sugars.
    Doesn't this depend *why* you're eating the flapjacks?
    If you're sat on the sofa and fancy a nibble, fats may be better because they'll stop you feeling hungry. However, if you're riding and eating flapjacks for energy you may not be feeling hungry anyway, and sugar is easier/faster for your body to process.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • frogonabike
    frogonabike Posts: 157
    Coconut oil? The solid variety at room temp..

+1 for coconut oil

I use it for most cooking nowadays as it's full of the good fats and it's solid at room temperature so should work well for flapjacks. You can get a taste/smell free version if you don't want the flavour in everything you eat (but it's very mild and I quite like it!)
  • ugo.santalucia

I use it for most cooking nowadays as it's full of the good fat)

Coconut oil is almost 100% saturated fat... they are shorter chains saturated fats, as compared to those you would find in lard or suet, but saturated fats nonetheless.

The jury is still out on coconut oil, whether it's a saint or a sinner. There is not enough research out there to conclude one way or the other.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 4,993
    mrfpb wrote:
    More seriously

Oils (liquid at room temp) break down at lower cooking temperatures and release carcinogens into the food.

Really?

I'm fine with decent veg oils or butter. As others mention, trans fats are worrying.
  • ugo.santalucia
    mrfpb wrote:
    Lard, Goose fat, butter. It needs to be solid at room temp, and natural rather than artificial. How about bacon and goose fat flapjacks?

More seriously

Oils (liquid at room temp) break down at lower cooking temperatures and release carcinogens into the food. So oils for salads and dressings, solid fats for frying or high heat cooking.

The temperature at which an oil decomposes is typically in excess of the boiling point of the oil... the latter is generally around 170-180 degrees depending on composition... you begin to produce carcinogenic acrolein at a higher temperature. You can google smoke point temperature for a more complete guide... typically around the 200 C mark.
  • frogonabike
    frogonabike Posts: 157

Coconut oil is almost 100% saturated fat... they are shorter chains saturated fats, as compared to those you would find in lard or suet, but saturated fats nonetheless.

The jury is still out on coconut oil, whether it's a saint or a sinner. There is not enough research out there to conclude one way or the other.

My other half is a nutritionist and she said do it so I do... aaand that's the limit of my knowledge! Apart from that it's dairy free and as others have said it's better than other oils
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    Mrs DHL uses goats butter for cooking (pies, cakes, pastries etc) and we use it for sandwiches, toast, whatever and have no margarine in the house; Much better than any pseudo-substitute.
    Frying/roasting is done with rape-seed oil.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    9-0ml-uernsa-dairy-guernse-butter-goats-butter-who-you-31029474.png
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    PPDE3KQ.jpg

This is superb IME.
  • darkhairedlord
    TGOTB wrote:

thats the fella,
    stick it in a (proper) butter dish and no need to put it in the fridge.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 4,993
    PPDE3KQ.jpg

This is superb IME.

Why TF would you want to cook with that instead of proper food? And the op wanted something to harden up his flapjacks.

Ingredients
    Vegetable Oils: (Sunflower Oil, Coconut Oil (12%)),
    Water,
    Emulsifier: Sunflower Lecithin,
    Alcohol,
    Natural Flavourings,
    Thickener: Xanthan Gum
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    TGOTB wrote:

thats the fella,

I can't help but suspect it tastes goat like?
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • hopkinb
    PPDE3KQ.jpg

This is superb IME.

You are a clueless dick in so many ways. Unless you have some non-culinary use for this manufactured shite.
  • darkhairedlord
    hopkinb wrote:
    PPDE3KQ.jpg

This is superb IME.

You are a clueless dick in so many ways. Unless you have some non-culinary use for this manufactured shite.
    Firm but fair
  • darkhairedlord
    jds_1981 wrote:
    TGOTB wrote:

thats the fella,

I can't help but suspect it tastes goat like?
    Nope, and the goats cream is amazing.
  • ugo.santalucia

My other half is a nutritionist and she said do it so I do... aaand that's the limit of my knowledge! Apart from that it's dairy free and as others have said it's better than other oils

I like to use it to make currys, but as I said the jury is still out on coconut oil
  • fixerupper
    fixerupper Posts: 32
    Yeah I'm in the real food camp , I have loads of our own olive oil so I use it for everything , It makes great pastry ,cake white sauce what ever .I buy butter sometimes Goat sometime Cow , about once a month for the odd slice of toast ...I think margarine is the work of the devil ....
  • secretsam
    jds_1981 wrote:
    hopkinb wrote:

My thoughts on the thread is that marge isn't an alternative to anything, so don't know why the OP was using it in the first place.

Because the recipe from a well-known bike website specified "butter or marge", and I had marge. Didn't realise the Jamie Oliver food police were moderating this board?

• pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    Coconut oil without question. Dairy is vile for lots of reasons.
  • darkhairedlord
    pastryboy wrote:
    Coconut oil without question. Dairy is vile for lots of reasons.
    how much 'nut oil do you get through in a week?
    do you whip it to make a cream?