2018 Revelation fork sitting up to 20% sag resting

Roadman1
Roadman1 Posts: 8
edited July 2018 in MTB workshop & tech
Please please help. At my wits end. I've bought a 2018 29er nukeproof scout comp and I love the bike. The fork is a Rockshox Revelation stock fork. while the bike us taken from my shed is it already between 10 and up to 20% into the travel before I even mount the bike. I took it back to the shop where I was told it's normal. Surely not ???? In effect now my scout is a 110mm hardtail. if i lift front wheel up and pull down on fork crown the fork will extend out to it's full 130mm of travel. Being told by the shop " it's supposed to be like that " doesn't sound right.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Nope not right. What happens if you pump it up? Surely it extends fully?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Roadman1
    no pumped it up to the 163psi max and still 15% stuck and had to pull it out to full 130mm. CRC shop on Boucher rd where i bought it said its ok. a friend has 1 now and his is perfect. sitting at 0% sag before he gets on bike
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    There shouldn't be any sag 'at rest' if the fork is pressurised. Bike shop is talking rubbish.
    Could be an imbalance between the positive and negative chambers. Try releasing all the air from the fork and manually extending and compressing it a few times before pumping it up again. When adding air cycle the fork a few times after each 50psi added. This will help to equalise the positive and negative air chambers.
    If that doesn't work then get it back to the shop as a warranty job.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    As above, it sounds like the negative chamber has got out of kilter and has too high a pressure, empty both chambers, push and pull through the travel a couple of times (venting as you need to) then pump it back up, if it still does it, go back and put your foot down.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • jamski
    jamski Posts: 737
    I've read a lot of bike reviews that come with Revelations, and a lot they found needed servicing straight away. Something about too much grease in them? Don't fully understand myself, but there does seem to be some issues with the 2018 version.
    Daddy, Husband, Designer, Biker, Gamer, Geek
    Bird Aeris 120 | Boardman Team 650b | Boardman Pro FS | Calibre Two.two
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    There should be no sag when there is no weight on the fork I. E no one is sitting on the bike or pushing the fork down.

If there is a lock out, is that off
  • Roadman1
    Thanks lads for all the advice. I've tried pretty much all of the above now and no change.. the fork came with 3 tokens and I've removed 2. I've also tried everything from 80 to the max recommendation 163psi. Still sitting 15% into sag. more annoyed that I've to make another 250 mile round trip back to where I bought it as the first time I returned it I was told " Its supposed to be like that "....
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    Roadman1 wrote:
    more annoyed that I've to make another 250 mile round trip back to where I bought it as the first time I returned it I was told " Its supposed to be like that "....
    That IS most annoying. :evil:
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    will it pull out to the full extension?

How are you measuring sag? (Just to be sure ahead of another a 250mile round trip).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    Take the fork off and post it back? Bubble wrap it and wrap it in cardboard, only about £10 with Hermes tracked, plus they should refund you as it’s a warranty...or take it to local shop, they should be able to to SRAM warranty jobs
  • Roadman1
    yes it will pull out to full travel. Good advice lads I think I may just remove it and post it back thanks.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Are you measuring the travel externally, or going by markers on the stanchion?
  • Roadman1
    I'm actually measuring it and going by the 130mm guide Marks on the fork and both reflect each other.
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    Yeah sounds like problem with negative chamber having too much pressure in, used to be able to do the same with the old dual air forks, I miss those. Why did they stop doing it?

I'd post the fork back.
  • plugp7
    plugp7 Posts: 298
    SRAM tend to put too much grease in their forks IMO. This can get into the small channel at the bottom of the air chamber leg thus not allowing air to pass and equalise pressures. Solution, take the bottoms off and clean out the channel.

Also sounds like they need “burping” if they were dual airs.
    Cotic Soul 26 inch. Whyte T130
  • jamski
    jamski Posts: 737
    plugp7 wrote:
    SRAM tend to put too much grease in their forks IMO. This can get into the small channel at the bottom of the air chamber leg thus not allowing air to pass and equalise pressures. Solution, take the bottoms off and clean out the channel.

Also sounds like they need “burping” if they were dual airs.

This has certainly been an issue with the 2018 Revelations. Nothing that can't be easily sorted, but annoying for a brand new fork.
    Daddy, Husband, Designer, Biker, Gamer, Geek
    Bird Aeris 120 | Boardman Team 650b | Boardman Pro FS | Calibre Two.two