Expected lifetime of a Di2 Battery? Dead after 3 years?!

bus_ter
bus_ter Posts: 337
edited June 2018 in Workshop
Hi,

My Di2 battery is no longer holding charge, just lasting a few days now instead of 2-3 months.

The system is 3 years old, however it has probably only been charged 10-20 times (they advertise 500+ charge cycles).

Unfortunately the warranty is only 2 years. Is this likely to be the end of life for the battery? Is 3 years typical? Or am I likely to have another fault in the Di2 system? At a £100 a pop I don't want to buy a new battery for that not to be the solution!

Thanks,
Simon

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Lithium batteries don't like being drained, so if you've let it get flat before charging that would reduce the life a lot.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    My cables don't have this problem ;)
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,551
    bus_ter wrote:
    My Di2 battery is no longer holding charge, just lasting a few days now instead of 2-3 months.
    https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 4#p1407064
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Svetty wrote:

Neither do countless Di2 systems, but hey, lets snigger at some else's misfortune eh?
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    philthy3 wrote:
    Svetty wrote:

Neither do countless Di2 systems, but hey, lets snigger at some else's misfortune eh?

Ok :D

OP, I doubt you'll have a problem that's caused a battery to die. Like mentioned above, go look at best practice for getting life out of lithium batteries, buy another, and hope your luck is better.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    philthy3 wrote:
    Svetty wrote:

Thats one of the joys of the internet :lol::lol::lol:
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    philthy3 wrote:
    Svetty wrote:

Thats one of the joys of the internet :lol::lol::lol:

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictio ... adenfreude
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    7 years, 5 years and 3 years and counting....
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Wizzybit
    Wizzybit Posts: 8
    My first one died after a year, was replaced under warranty, guess you just get the odd bad one
  • triquin
    triquin Posts: 30
    Hi Simon,
    I had similar symptons to you on my bike. My problem was caused by a faulty cable.

If you haven't already, it may be worth chargeing your battery and then disconnecting it from the bike. Then check to see if it still fails to hold the charge.