Newbie to Bikeradar as well as cycling

Ciaruffoil
Ciaruffoil Posts: 2
edited July 2018 in Road beginners
Hello all,
I'm a 41 year old female from Texas (US) just starting out cycling. I bought a cheapy road bike online (make sure I enjoy it) and put it together myself (as there is not a LBS within 50 miles of me). First ride was about an hour after which I could barely walk as my rear was so sore. I've been riding on paved trails as I'm still a bit fearful of getting out on the road with the cars. I know I just gotta do it to get over the fear. Really just wanted to say hi to everyone as I've been reading all your posts. I hope I get the fever like all of you, I think about it all the time. ha. Have a good day everyone, and if anyone wants to make comments, suggestions, or digs please feel free. Looking forward to this adventure.

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Hi and welcome. The MFs say hi as well.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    Welcome, it’s good to hear you put the bike together yourself, that’s the best way to learn, and probably save yourself a fortune, in the long term as well. Your right about getting out on the road with the traffic too. The fear of what may happen is usually worse than the reality of what actually happens ( for the most part). Enjoy the riding, and don’t worry about being a bit sore to begin with, that will get better as you #5.
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    Hi,

Bib shorts with a good quality pad help. I wouldnt wear shorts without a pad. A lot of things in cycling have a Francophone name and some places call these pads a "Chamois". Keep the shorts washed or you can get a rash. Some people use a chamois cream on their but to act as a lubricant to stop chafing and some chamois creams are anti-microbial too.

After a while of cycling, its no longer sore. You kind of get used to it.

If you still have any aches and pains after a while and theres no improvement, then I recommend taking your bike to a good shop that does a bike fitting service. So they can adjust the bike correctly and set it up to match your dimensions. Its surprising how a slight change to the stem of the bike can take away back, neck or upper shoulder pain; as you'll be on the bike in a more natural position.

Even after several years of cycling theres still some roads I will always avoid. I just dont feel safe on these busy main roads where cars would approach me from behind doing over 60 mph. I'm lucky that I live pretty rural so I stick to quiet back roads that are mostly free of traffic. I suppose there's nothing to stop you putting your bike in the back of your truck and driving to some nice countryside away from the traffic and cycle a loop around there, then drive home afterwards?
    A lot of cyclists will still use a high intensity flashing red light on the rear of their bike, even during the daytime, so they can be seen by other traffic.

If you're looking for motivation, I will aim to cycle to a nice cafe. Stop there for coffee and cake then cycle back. Afterwards the rides were always more enjoyable than I imagined they'd be.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • sally56
    sally56 Posts: 5
    Back pain is caused by an incorrect riding posture. The correct seat cushion position and daily stretch movement will produce amazing results.
    Also, because you didn't mention the gear, have you prepared a suitable helmet and riding suit?
  • cld531c
    cld531c Posts: 517
    Did I miss the back pain reference other than above? Thought it was just a sore bum which will get better as your bum gets used to it!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • bigmitch41
    bigmitch41 Posts: 685
    Welcome! Good quality bib shorts a must, but expect the odd feeling of discomfort if this is your first ride, until you become used to the rigours of cycling. Lots of tutorials on youtube to help with bike fit, plus feel free to ask away on here. Strava is also a good way of tracking your progress, an app which works on a smartphone or gps head unit etc.

Most of all....Enjoy!
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    If your bum is sore - then it could be that :

Your handlebars are too high relative to the saddle - you want the bars to share the weight roughly 30/70 with the saddle.
    Your saddle is too low - so rather than use the legs as suspension they're always bent and you really are sitting in the saddle.

Or - it's all a bit new = that would account for it too.

Good luck with it.