Anyone taken their bike to Uni???

louman999
louman999 Posts: 90
edited June 2018 in Road general
So I’m not going to uni but will be staying in uni accommodation for a year. I’ll have my own room to myself and plan on bringing my bike with me and storing my bike in my room. The bike isn’t worth a fortune (£350 it’s 10 years old) and I’m not worried about it being stolen from my room and i can get it insured very cheaply and plan on a new bike next year. Obviously I have to check with where I’m staying if it’s okay I’m just wondering if it’s likely they will say yes.

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Any damage to the room will have to be paid for so you don't want to mark anything so be careful even if allowed.

Depending on where you are it might not be practical taking a bike inside. There will be bike racks outside so maybe take a cheap bike ?
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Louman999 wrote:
    Obviously I have to check with where I’m staying if it’s okay I’m just wondering if it’s likely they will say yes.

Nobody here is psychic, unfortunately. Maybe tell us the Uni/campus and chances are someone may be able to offer something more concrete in terms of an answer.
  • louman999
    Imposter wrote:
    Louman999 wrote:
    Obviously I have to check with where I’m staying if it’s okay I’m just wondering if it’s likely they will say yes.

Nobody here is psychic, unfortunately. Maybe tell us the Uni/campus and chances are someone may be able to offer something more concrete in terms of an answer.
    I was asking if anyone had any previous experience with bikes at uni. If I’m told I can’t store it in my room then it won’t be going.
  • imposter2.0
    Louman999 wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    Louman999 wrote:

I was asking if anyone had any previous experience with bikes at uni. If I’m told I can’t store it in my room then it won’t be going.

The point I'm making is - it will depend on the campus.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Highly unlikely they'll let you take it inside.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • louman999
    cooldad wrote:
    Ah what makes you think that????
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    My son was in res, they wouldn't let bikes inside - there were racks and sheds outside.

Why don't you just ask them?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • imposter2.0
    cooldad wrote:
    Why don't you just ask them?

Or tell us which uni it is...
  • hantstooflat
    hantstooflat Posts: 122
    Both unis I went to bikes were banned from rooms but sheds were provided and pretty safe
    “Jij bent niet van suiker gemaakt”
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    At my son's hall the bike shed was really unsafe- right next to the drive at the entrance to the site not overlooked by any halls. So a good spot for a quick break and lift. The halls I looked at with my daughter were better placed within the accomodation estate, so I wouldn't worry about her taking her bike there.
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    Just ask them. We can give you a million and one answers but seeing as we have no idea where you're going it is all pure guesswork on our part.
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    At my uni we weren't allowed bikes inside but they rarely did room inspections and when they did I put a towel over it and said it was a towel rack, or half hid it under the bed. Being made to lock them outside was a total joke, the one time any of the bike club left something semi decent locked outside it was nicked in 20 minutes.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    In case it helps, I have stayed on campus at Newcastle University for a night, while the kids were home for summer (before riding Newcastle-Edinburgh). I kept my bike in the room - no one batted an eyelid.

So it's not impossible. But call them up and ask.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    I wasn't allowed to keep bikes in my room, but as I didn't specifically ask I just did it anyway, I say bikes as at one point I have 3 and a turbo trainer. Wasn't much space for anything else to be honest (but then, what else do you need? :P)

Though with a £350 bike I would just keep it in a bike shed on campus, can always get a big lock to leave in the bike shed.
  • topcattim
    topcattim Posts: 766
    If the rooms are the same sort of size as the rooms in halls used by my lads when they were recently in Cardiff and Birmingham Unis, then there won't really be room for your bike. Cosy bedsits with shower, hardly any room to walk up and down in, let alone store a bike. Their solution: buy a uni bike and a secure lock, get good insurance, store in cycle sheds.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,036
    Fortunately when I was up at Uni they didn't even know what a bike was, but there was a strict rule regarding Top Hats!

hobbyhorse.jpg
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    ^ the guy in the background looks to be setting a strava KOM
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    No bikes inside the buildings when I was at Manchester.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Louman999 wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    Ah what makes you think that????

If you don’t want to listen to what people are saying then why bother posting?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,736
    It's highly unlikely they'll say yes but depending on the halls there may be nobody to actually stop you - if you wanted to be sure just get a soft bike bag to keep it in.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • iron-clover
    iron-clover Posts: 737
    In my experience, you will almost certainly not be allowed to take the bike into Halls with you- it's partially to prevent damage but mostly due to fire regulations- most Halls have relatively small corridors for the number of people living in them, and if you let everyone take their bikes in they would inevitably end up left in the hallway which could hamper an evacuation.

I was lucky to have access to a (mostly) covered bike lockup which you had to have a key for, although it was only really good for keeping the weather off as near the end of my year everything that wasn't nailed down was stolen out of there- luckily I was always paranoid and locked the frame and wheels with two separate locks. You would be advised to do the same, even if the one for the front wheel is a cheap armoured cable lock that you always leave at the rack.

However, if you live on the ground floor and have easy access to your room, people might turn a blind eye to you keeping it in your room as long as you keep everything clean- I kept my then new £400 road bike in my room for the last couple of months on a work stand after the theft.

Once you're into private renting the restrictions will be a lot more relaxed. If you are in a bed sit then you'll likely have to leave it in a shed outside (fitting a ground anchor, even if only screwed into the wood, is a must in these cases) but if living with fellow students you'll probably not have any issues as long as you keep it clean and out of their way. Just be wary you're not breaking any rules during the house inspections- although my bike was the least of my worries compared to my housemate's two rabbits!!!

Good luck, and have fun!
  • bflk
    bflk Posts: 240
    In my experience, you will almost certainly not be allowed to take the bike into Halls with you- it's partially to prevent damage but mostly due to fire regulations- most Halls have relatively small corridors for the number of people living in them, and if you let everyone take their bikes in they would inevitably end up left in the hallway which could hamper an evacuation.

I was lucky to have access to a (mostly) covered bike lockup which you had to have a key for, although it was only really good for keeping the weather off as near the end of my year everything that wasn't nailed down was stolen out of there- luckily I was always paranoid and locked the frame and wheels with two separate locks. You would be advised to do the same, even if the one for the front wheel is a cheap armoured cable lock that you always leave at the rack.

However, if you live on the ground floor and have easy access to your room, people might turn a blind eye to you keeping it in your room as long as you keep everything clean- I kept my then new £400 road bike in my room for the last couple of months on a work stand after the theft.

Once you're into private renting the restrictions will be a lot more relaxed. If you are in a bed sit then you'll likely have to leave it in a shed outside (fitting a ground anchor, even if only screwed into the wood, is a must in these cases) but if living with fellow students you'll probably not have any issues as long as you keep it clean and out of their way. Just be wary you're not breaking any rules during the house inspections- although my bike was the least of my worries compared to my housemate's two rabbits!!!

Good luck, and have fun!

I'm in private rented accommodation right next door to the local university and here the landlord has demanded we keep all bikes IN our rooms and not in the hallway on threat of eviction, due to 'fire/Health and Safety issues'. My road bike was inside anyway - everyone else ignored the notices and no-one seems to have been evicted so far...

I presume he won't have cause to complain if on departure the floor isn't quite what it used to be? :?
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I think he will. Expect to lose some of your deposit of the carpet is marked. It's not rocket science to put something down on the floor iif you're bringing a muddy bike in. You'd do it if it was your own house yes ?
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,253
    You may be able to keep it in your room. depends on T&C and also if anyone eg cleaners report you. Some halls do provide facilities for bikes. The one I work at has a bike locking area within the car park (multi storey) opp. the hallsand this bike area is accessed via a coded door. Of course you should still have a lock or two.
  • john1967
    john1967 Posts: 366
    based on my experience of uni accommodation ii dont think there will be any problems with storing your bike in the room.
  • priory
    priory Posts: 743
    My personal experience of uni halls was outside racks in the building only, but that was 43 years ago. My sons at southampton and leicester were not allowed inside but reasonably secure cages or huts were provided. At Soton one cage was raided and anything reasonably nice stolen.

When they went to uni they took very basic standard town bikes ; cheap, heavy and unattractive. The ideal would be an old 1980's racer that you have tarted up to work well but still look like hell. Then you will still have to lock it properly but rather than theft it will just be mindless vandalism to worry about.

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/ ... -21-frames

halfords still do the £100 bike almost.
    Raleigh Eclipse, , Dahon Jetstream XP, Raleigh Banana, Dawes super galaxy, Raleigh Clubman

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z122 ... =slideshow