Smart trainer & RLV

venster
venster Posts: 356
Hi.

Winter seems a way off at the moment, but am thinking about a smart trainer for the winter.

It does seem a bit confusing all the software etc so a few questions.

I've used Trainerroad on a turbo, but that's my lot. I'd like to make it a bit more interesting....

If I bought a Tacx smart trainer, do I only need the desktop software to run the RLV?

I'd like to download the videos and see my effort translated into my speed/progress on screen. I'm not interested in riding against others in RL, just the videos.

My problem is that I've only got a macbook, not windows laptop...which you need to run TTS, but not the desktop app...

Comments

• APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    Tacx are moving away from TTS4 (one time purchase cost + purchase of RLVs on bluray) to the new desktop app (TDA) which is subscription based. As with all Tacx software it seems to be having teething problems, but I think it is still a viable option. I've used TTS4 for the last 4 years and really enjoy the RLVs, but at some point I will upgrade my Genius to a Neo and try the TDA.

I don't know much about MacBook but for a pc you would need a ant+ stick to communicate with the turbo. For mac I think you might have built in bluetooth smart you can use to connect?
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,971
    Worth taking a look at BigRingVR
    https://www.bigringvr.com/
    System requirements are detailed.

An excellent program IMO and loads of high quality videos with new ones being added all the time.
    Just a few of them can be found on their Youtube channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCecCE3puKVsPKHep8eADorg/videos
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • venster
    venster Posts: 356
    I like the look of bigringvr - does it adjust resistance on smart trainers?
  • Venster, FulGaz might be just what you want. If you have an iPhone or an iPad.
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,971
    venster wrote:
    I like the look of bigringvr - does it adjust resistance on smart trainers?
    Yes, it certainly does and the gradient transitions are very smooth and realistic. The dashboard is very clear and, if you want, you can ride against other riders (but that's totally optional).
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut