Changing decals on Mavic wheels (Shallow I am well aware)

daniel_b
daniel_b Posts: 11,577
edited September 2018 in Workshop
Morning all,

I have just taken delivery of a pair of these:
98701-352136_1_Supersize.jpg

But I want yellow decals on them - so have ordered these direct from Mavic:
V28703.jpg

I'm not sure if the decals are identical in size (Looking at the spokes I reckon they are a smidge bigger), and may well go with the second picture and only fit two per side.

I appreciate I could have gone with one of any huge number of suppliers on ebay, and they likely would have been just as good, or better for a 3rd of the price, but that is the decision I made, and the order is placed.

My question is around the best, and safest way to remove the original decals.

I've googled, and looked at youtube videos, and the general concensus seems to be to use a heatgun (Or is a hairdryer safer....?) on one edge of the decal to start things off, and then hopefully once you have an edge up, things should get considerably easier.

I'm conscious, that for me, these are incredibly expensive wheels (Not for all of course) and I am desperate to look after them, and ensure I don't trash the outser surface, or harm the exalith surface, so if anyone can give any tips or suggestions, both with regards to the removal process, and or the best and safest solution to clear any residual debris from the original adhesive, would be greaty appreciated :-)
I would be majorly distraught if I knackered my shiny new wheels :evil:

Thanks

Dan
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18

Comments

• shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    It's pretty easy. Assuming its the same as Zipps you just hairdryer the logo, peel off, clean with damp sponge and then with acetone then apply new ones.
  • daniel_b
    edited June 2018
    Thanks SB, I'll look to get some acetone in that case.

EDIT: Just did google, and some people seem to suggest that this is the same stuff..........?
    https://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-foam-gun-cleaner-500ml/60133
    60133_P&$prodImageMedium$

I read somewhere it said acetone was not readily available anymore - not that I need much I assume, just a small amount to put on a cloth and rub on the surface?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    Or I have this substantial 1L option:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/BRAND-Quality-Acetone-litre-1000ml/dp/B003WZB55O
    51NDqDgQfyL._SL1200_.jpg

Or these tiny but comparitively cheap ones:
    https://www.superdrug.com/Superdrug/Superdrug-Acetone-Nail-Polish-Remover-50ml/p/219149
    Superdrug-Acetone-Nail-Polish-Remover-50ml-219149.jpg

What other uses might I find for acetone (Never used it) so I can determine whether it's worth ordering the bigger bottle.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    lolol excellent,

any will do, the intention is to remove any grease or grime that might have got on there, including from your fingers which (since this is the first time youve done this AND youve bought an expensive pair of wheels that youre hoping not to trash) are likely to be sweaty

:)
  • shirley_basso
    Nail polish remover is simply acetone. Go to superdrug or boots and by the strongest one you can. You won't use very much. It's also not expensive - like £2 or £3 quid.

It's basically a paint thinner like white spirit but doesn't dissolve the resins. Perfectly safe on wheels and recommended on the Zipp 'How to' youtube clips.
  • wilks321
    wilks321 Posts: 9
    Done my Mavic Comics twice now as bought them in original white then swapped to Grey decals messed one up so ended up with 2 on each side but have since gone back to white and 3 decals on each side. Just take your time when doing it and you'll be fine. Bought both sets from Inkmyride good quality and the white is a glossy white so easily wipes clean unlike the originals which stained on the back wheels from a splatter of oil from the chain.
    Rockrider 5.3 (2011)
  • daniel_b
    Thanks guys, and yes I will be a bit nervous!

Superdrug it is then.

I'm going to order a set from inkmyride (Fluro I reckon) too - I suspect they are the same size as the factory ones, and what I will probably do is desticker a set of carbon rims I bought a few years ago, an put some Felt vinyl branding on them - that will give me a practice set of wheels, before I have a go at the real ones.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • shirley_basso
    It's easier than you think.
  • daniel_b
    I'm sure you are right, I am just naturally cautious..........!

Yellow (Top right) or Fluro? (Near bottom left)

Colour_Chart_massive.jpg?1481981554
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • shirley_basso
    Ask them or use pantone (sp?) charts.
  • daniel_b
    Just to update this.

Finally got some time today to try and get the decals out - got my hairdryer out, and tackled the first letter, and it came off in seconds, after completing the first one of 6 per wheel, decided to try without the hair dryer, and it was fine.
    One nail underneath the edge of one letter, and it came off so easily, apparently leaving no residue.
    Each wheel took 5 minutes maximum to clear of decals.

I've decided to not fit the plain yellow decals, and will instead go back to inkmyride to order some fluro ones - as the bike they are now destined for has fluro lettering on.

Still need to buy some acetone\nail polish remover to give the rims a 100% clean up though prior to fitting.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • blimey thats lucky, i took some decals off some Zipp wheels recently and it took nearly an hour!!!! then i still had to get rid of the gluey residue.
  • blimey thats lucky, i took some decals off some Zipp wheels recently and it took nearly an hour!!!! then i still had to get rid of the gluey residue.

Have to use the hairdryer first to melt the glue.

Watch the video!

Have to use the hairdryer first to melt the glue.

Watch the video!

I did .....
  • daniel_b
    Blimey, I got very lucky then, no idea how or why they were that easy!

Inkmyride have agreed to take the yellow ones back for a small surcharge, and send the fluro ones out in place of :-)
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Does this also work on alloy ones? Glad you made this thread as I was planning on doing the same to my shallow Mavics, but because the decals clash horribly with the retro aesthetic.
  • daniel_b
    Sgt.Pepper wrote:
    Does this also work on alloy ones? Glad you made this thread as I was planning on doing the same to my shallow Mavics, but because the decals clash horribly with the retro aesthetic.

I believe so, although looks like you will deffo need a hairdryer and some cleaning substance.

Can heartily recommend inkmyride as mentioned up this post, an exact match to the originals, and very reasonably priced.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    Have haranged Mavic to see if they will take back the decals I ordered from them, as it's just beyond the 60 days - otherwise will have to flog them somewhere.

Picked up some nail polish remover for the princely sum of £1.50 from Sainsbury's:
    https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/gb/groceries/sainsburys-extra-strngth-nail-polish-remover-250ml
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18