When does the pain stop?

Nathan783
Nathan783 Posts: 2
edited July 2018 in Road beginners
Hi everyone,

Im a new rider and just bought my first road bike(Giant Contend) im a heavier rider 260lbs @ 6’3” and im having a lot of pain everytime i ride. Back pain/butt pain/hand pain/weird inner elbow arm pain. Ive adjusted my bike multiple times that ive gotten the pain down to its lowest but its still taking a toll on me. Im thinking me being a new road rider and a heavy rider is causing most of my discomfort. My question is how long did it take you to get comfortable on your bike? Weeks? Months? A year?

Thanks,

-Nate

Comments

• ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    Being a new and heavier rider might well be contributing to your problems but you haven’t said what sort of distances you are riding before the pain sets in, the size of the bike or whether you followed guidance on line (or otherwise) when making adjustments. On that basis there’s not much information to go on but my initial reaction is that you might benefit from a professional bike fit. Get more comfortable, get riding and the weight should start falling off. Also did you buy the bike privately, on line or from a proper bike shop— if it was the last one, they simply had no business selling you something that was so unsuited to you. If one of the other two caveat emptor rules. Whatever, you need some help.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    If you are new to cycling and didn't do much exercise before it's quite likely that your physical condition needs to build up over time. This includes neck, shoulder and core musculature as well as aerobic and legs. Doing off-bike exercises to work on these areas will speed the improvement in pain and also your speed.

And yes, a bike that fits reasonably is a help.
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • Iv had a mountain bike for years but have just sold up and got a road bike. I'm like you I had a lot of pain in certain areas. My neck and obviously my butt.
    I got new padded shorts which have helped with the butt and also I dipped the seat a little so when you bend down on fast straights it doesn't cramp you front inwards as that's painful when I found out on my first ride
    As for the neck the first time I went out it hurt for hours afterwards but I've been out a few times now and it seems to hurt less every time.

I'd say just adjusting things and building fitness up is he way to go. Iv been out most days lately even if its short 10 mile rides just to make sure I keep getting used to the bike
  • jeatsy
    jeatsy Posts: 26
    Your arm and hand pain might be that you're gripping too tight. I was like that when I shifted from straight to drop bars, but after a while you realise you only need a light grip if you're on the hoods. Wrap a couple of fingers all the way round to link with your thumb if you're concerned about being jolted off them, e.g. if the road is bad. As for your arms, make sure there's a slight bend at the elbow to absorb any shock. This might also help reduce any tenseness in your neck.

If you're too stretched out (which can cause lower back pain), you can play around with your stem. First thing to check is, is it rotated upwards or downwards? Also check length and replace with a shorter one if desired, though not too short as the handling will get twitchier. A good LBS should be able to advise.
  • paul2718
    paul2718 Posts: 471
    Look at it this way, I'm something over 6 feet, and at the top of my weight range, but you are 50% heaver than I am.

So you have substantially greater pressures and loads, but not yet the core strength to deal with them.

I don't think you can adjust away the problem, although having an experienced eye take a look will do no harm. I would suggest riding little and often, so you don't injure yourself and so the necessary muscles start to get stronger. Even if you are inherently fit, perhaps a rugby player, the muscles you use to support your body on a bike are going to take some training.

But most important, don't hurt yourself! And good luck.
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    Do some core stability exercises it will help massively.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Butt pain could be the saddle. My first road bike, a Trek 1.5 Alpha, had a saddle that I just couldn't get on with. Pain would start within about 2 miles and the longer I rode, the longer it took for the pain to subside. Getting off of the bike at the end of the ride was worse as the circulation started flowing freely. Every other saddle I tried was instantly better.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Any time I take a significant break from riding I've found that it takes about four to six weeks for my butt to get used to the saddle - any more than that and it's time to look at a different saddle.

Wrists/elbows sounds like too much weight on the handlebars.

A decent bike fit is worth it IME - it means I can ride for 100+ miles without significant pain.

But the legs always, always feel sore if I overdo it.
    They use their cars as shopping baskets; they use their cars as overcoats.
  • ds2288
    ds2288 Posts: 36
    As previously said, a bike fit and time. You'll then cancel out both variables whether it be a fit issue or just fitness/flexibility.