Buying a new bike - need more help

James5000
James5000 Posts: 15
edited June 2018 in Road buying advice
Saw this bike and I really like it but, they only have Criterium racing by me - it's flat racing and I think I will be okay but, again, it's another heavy bike, probably coming in at about 20+lbs

Giants ToughRoad SLR GX 0

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/toughroad-slr-gx-0

Is this just too outside the realm for racing? Should I go back to looking for a lightweight bike?

I also like the SRAM 1x - I don't really climb where I live, very flat in my area, so I like the fact that I would have less shifting.

All advice appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Camcycle1974
    Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
    Sorry, not sure what you are asking? Approval for a purchase of an off road bike for racing on the road? Doesn't make much sense. A TCR would be the better option for road racing.
  • James5000
    Understood, what about a recommendation on Apex 1x11 road bike?

I know Shimano 105 is standard but, I like the idea of one shifter.

Also, the Giant is kind of considered an off road bike but, they (GCN) claim the bike rode very fast in their tests.

Thanks
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,216
    bristolpete did a review of this bike.
    viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13088598
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Have you done any racing.
  • James5000
    Thanks for pointing out the review.

I have not raced yet but, they started the criteriums near me and they run through Oct. I want to race - I have beaten the crap out of my old road bike and I need a new bike - just wanted something fun and new

Also looking at the Trek Crockett 5 disc

I see that for under $2,000, you can get a decent road bike with shimano 105 groupset and it would be okay to race, maybe I won't get dropped by the rich guys on the $10,000 bikes (so funny how many of them there are at the Cat 5) but, then I saw the SRAM 1x drive and I know this sounds weird but, I rarely need to shift that far down, no hills by me, the criterium is flat, so why not a cyclocross or gravel - just want to make sure speed wise I can keep up
  • Camcycle1974
    Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
    Most crit racers use a cheap alu frame as crashes are inevitable and you will break stuff. Don't see your logic of wanting to use a gravel/off road bike. The handling will likely be too relaxed for crit racing. Buy a cheap bike off ebay and race on that. Buy your gravel bike for exploring your local trails.