Sram X9 2x10 Replacement Options

marcusholli
marcusholli Posts: 4
edited June 2018 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

I have a 2012 Whyte 905 owned by me from new. Have replaced chain, cassette, bottom bracket etc but now the chainrings really need replacing. Did SDW last weekend and shifting up to the large chainring is a nightmare. I've looked for replacements in the past but couldn't find much so gave up!!!
So I have X7 shifters and front derailleur. X9 rear derailleur, and X9 crankset 39/26t 120/80bcd bb30.

First question - someone else must have come to a point where they had to replace these chainrings - anyone found any at a reasonable price? Any other solutions?

Secondly, looking on ebay at other cranksets, theres one I'm watching which is an XX with same size chainrings - would this be a direct replacement? (SRAM XX TRUVATIV 2 x10 BB30 DOUBLE CHAINWHEEL CHAINSET 26/39T 170mm 156 Q FACTOR)

Many Thanks

Comments

• JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Blackspire 26T chainring £12.99 from CRC.

Unfortunately 120BCD chainrings are hard to come by. The matching Blackspire 39T chainring is £43.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • JBA wrote:
    Blackspire 26T chainring £12.99 from CRC.

Unfortunately 120BCD chainrings are hard to come by. The matching Blackspire 39T chainring is £43.

Thanks JBA, might go for those unless anyone knows if the XX crankset above will run in my current set up?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    XX comes in 24/22 GXP and BB30 flavour, the GXP certainly won't fit easily. the issue with XX is they run a narrow Q-factor and won't fit all frames with the crank arms sometimes fouling the chain stays, you need to measure the width across your chainstays at the heel of the crank point.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    40T at a slightly more sensible price.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Plate-Bike-B ... Sweq5atMtU
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    XX comes in 24/22 GXP and BB30 flavour, the GXP certainly won't fit easily. the issue with XX is they run a narrow Q-factor and won't fit all frames with the crank arms sometimes fouling the chain stays, you need to measure the width across your chainstays at the heel of the crank point.

Cheers, didn't know anything about Q factor. The XX is going to be too tight after checking.