Old and wobbly

allen-uk
allen-uk Posts: 146
edited June 2018 in Road general
I came back to cycling after a 50-year gap, and it was fine. A year or two back, health problems forced me off my bike, and I haven't ridden it for 18 months or more.

Tried it the other day, and while I hadn't forgotten (of course), I did feel wobbly - not to the point of falling off, just not as confident as I used to be, particularly going round corners at low speeds.

Do you think the confidence and balance will come back?

At my age (only 70, but not in greatest nick), I'm concerned about falling off and breaking a wrist - I know it's small beer, but given that with only one leg I use my arms to do all sorts of things - I'm toying with the idea of hanging up my clips.

Any thoughts?

Allen.

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Why not something a bit different to the usual - like a trike or maybe a recumbent trike?
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Yes the confidence will come back - it takes time - and usually a bit more speed (just not too much!).

Give up? Why? Trikes are a possibility - though harder work - but eTrikes would help you overcome that
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    Recumbent Trike as mentioned above, stability, comfort, exercise, downside is expensive but what price fitness and health!
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • allen-uk
    allen-uk Posts: 146
    Thanks for those thoughts - my current bike is an ebike (couldn't manage the hills with only one leg without the 'e'), so moving to a trike might be an idea, although upsetting for the NW London motoring community who aren't that keen on two wheels...

Allen
  • cld531c
    cld531c Posts: 517
    I bet an eTrike would be loads of fun! Stick at it x