Rear derailleur hanger screw doesn't fit properly

Kjaer
Kjaer Posts: 22
edited June 2018 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello everyone
I recently purchased my first mtb - a nukeproof scout comp. I'mm really happy with it, but I can't seem to get rid of a very slight ticking sound from the drivechain. It shifts fine, but the ticking is there in every gear (it's a 1x).
When I tried to get rid of the sound by adjusting the shifting I discovered that the thread in the frame doesn't align properly with the leftmost bolt head recess (is the the correct term?) on the rear derailleur hanger .
SumOda1.jpg
The hanger doesn't look bent, but I've had a few crashes so I can't rule it out.
I can screw the bolt in fine, so I'm not sure if I should worry about this..
Hope you guys can help a newbie bike home mechanic out.

Comments

• Kjaer
    Oh and this is the noise from the drivechain. It's the same in every gear.
    https://youtu.be/jnLrx2Z_Nn4
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,449
    I always pay attention to odd noises. I prefer to sort them out early rather than wait for a bigger problem to emerge. So you are correct to want to pin it down, but what is it?

Just as a test, remove the screw you are worried about and try again.
    If the noise continues, it's not the screw. If it stops, it is!
  • Kjaer
    I always pay attention to odd noises. I prefer to sort them out early rather than wait for a bigger problem to emerge. So you are correct to want to pin it down, but what is it?

Just as a test, remove the screw you are worried about and try again.
    If the noise continues, it's not the screw. If it stops, it is!

Thanks for the reply. I'll try and remove it and see. But should I be worried about if it's not causing the noise?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Highly unlikely that's the cause, the rear throu bolt will pull it all up tight (you could remove the two small bolts and still ride it), but yes, always sort these things earlier rather than later!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Kjaer
    The Rookie wrote:
    Highly unlikely that's the cause, the rear throu bolt will pull it all up tight (you could remove the two small bolts and still ride it), but yes, always sort these things earlier rather than later!
    Ah, didn't think of that. Yeah, I might have to take it to the lbs to have it checked out..
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,485
    Can you feel the noise? i.e. if you place your hand on various parts you should really feel a vibration coming from somewhere which might help locate it better.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • Kjaer
    larkim wrote:
    Can you feel the noise? i.e. if you place your hand on various parts you should really feel a vibration coming from somewhere which might help locate it better.
    Good idea! I'll try that
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    you sure its not something like freehub noise etc?
  • Kjaer
    swod1 wrote:
    Pretty sure it's coming from the derailleur. I'll take it to the lbs tomorrow I think. I really can't figure out what's wrong..
  • wilberforce
    wilberforce Posts: 315
    Is the chain routed correctly through the derailleur and not the wrong side of the tab between the jockey wheels?
  • steve_sordy
    What interests me is the intermittent nature of it. Is it the chain? Remove the chain and repeat the test. No noise and you know it's the chin knocking on something.
  • Kjaer
    swod1 wrote:
    You hear the freehub noise in the video a few times yes (and me slowing the wheel down), but the sound I'm concerned about is the ticking (you might have to turn up the sound to hear it). I'm not sure if this is normal noise fron a drivechain, but my understanding is that is should be almost quiet. I can hear it when I ride if the surroundings are quiet.
  • Kjaer
    What interests me is the intermittent nature of it. Is it the chain? Remove the chain and repeat the test. No noise and you know it's the chin knocking on something.
    It's not really intermittent though (see previous post). But good idea anyway!
  • steve_sordy
    Kjaer wrote:

I watched and listened to the video and what I heard was intermittent ticking. Maybe it was there call the time but varying in intensity and I only heard the loud bits.
  • Kjaer
    Kjaer wrote:

I watched and listened to the video and what I heard was intermittent ticking. Maybe it was there call the time but varying in intensity and I only heard the loud bits.

The sound quality is not the best unfortunately. You can mostly hear the free hub a few times..

What I hear in real life is a continuous ticking sound that persists in every gear and at every speed except when going very, very slow. It seems to come from the jockey wheels on the rear mech as I can feel that the vibrations match the sound. They are however both clean and spin well and the chain doesn't seem to rub anywhere.
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    Post photo from side and from rear to show chain alignment.

What was changed for this noise to start?
  • Kjaer
    02GF74 wrote:
    Post photo from side and from rear to show chain alignment.

What was changed for this noise to start?

Will do tomorrow! The bike is only a few weeks old, but I had a pretty big crash around 5 minutes into the very first ride so I'm not really sure if it was there from the start or not.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Just listened again and it sounds to me as if the derailleur is slightly out of line with the sprocket. Possibly a bent hanger from your crash or you just may need to index the gears properly.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • 02gf74
    edited June 2018
    . ...
  • Kjaer
    JBA wrote:
    Just listened again and it sounds to me as if the derailleur is slightly out of line with the sprocket. Possibly a bent hanger from your crash or you just may need to index the gears properly.
    I hope it's the latter of those..
  • larkim
    Bent hanger is a cheap easy fix though too.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    larkim wrote:
    Bent hanger is a cheap easy fix though too.

yep, depends how badly bent as you can straight them with a big adjustable spanner.

Chain reaction cycles will sell the whole hanger as it looks like your bike uses a through axle.
  • larkim
    No harm in investing in one of these anyway "just in case". http://www.hotlines-uk.com/nukeproof-sc ... anger-2015
  • Kjaer
    larkim wrote:
    No harm in investing in one of these anyway "just in case". http://www.hotlines-uk.com/nukeproof-sc ... anger-2015
    Yeah, I think I'll order a few of those for future chrashes..

I ended up letting my lbs handle the problem. I'll get back to you guys when the mystery is solved. Thanks for all the replies and helpful advice. This seems like a great forum.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,217
    Kjaer wrote:
    I discovered that the thread in the frame doesn't align properly with the leftmost bolt head recess (is the the correct term?) on the rear derailleur hanger.
    That looks like a less extreme version of the problem I had a few weeks ago....which turned out to be the wrong hanger on the bike :roll: (bought second hand)
    Let us know what the LBS do to fix it.
  • Kjaer
    Kjaer wrote:
    I discovered that the thread in the frame doesn't align properly with the leftmost bolt head recess (is the the correct term?) on the rear derailleur hanger.
    That looks like a less extreme version of the problem I had a few weeks ago....which turned out to be the wrong hanger on the bike :roll: (bought second hand)
    Let us know what the LBS do to fix it.

I bought mine brand new, but the thought that it's the wrong hanger has crossed my mind..
  • Kjaer
    Got the bike back from the bike shop today aaaaand.. nothing changed. Kind of dissappointed in them.
  • 02gf74
    It's difficult to diagnose from a distance, where approximately are you based.