Di2 v's non Di2 groupset

pmcclure
pmcclure Posts: 36
edited June 2018 in Workshop
Currently, have a 10 speed Ultegra groupset. Hoping to upgrade to 11 speed soon.

Question is, is it worth paying an extra £385 for a di2 groupset (R8000 v's R8500)? The bike is di2 compatible.

Thanks

Comments

• imafatman
    imafatman Posts: 351
    Almost everyone who has Di2 says it's worth it. You rarely hear people say, "I got Di2 but i prefer my mechanical".

However I suspect most people who have Di2 don't mind the additional expense and have the money to spend it.

If £385 is a significant chunk of cash for you then you might not come to the same conclusion.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Let's not waste any more BR disk space. The debate is already being had over here: viewtopic.php?f=40020&p=20364570#p20364570
  • milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    If the extra cost doesn’t cause you any heartache, it’s a no brainer. Get the Di2, you’ll regret not having it, if you choose not to.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,516
    I had Di2 on my last bike whilst my current bike has a mechanical groupset and I'm agnostic to either type. I've never had problems with either set up but the Di2 is more fire and forget with criminal levels of negligence attained whilst still working.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,523
    I had di2 before and I don't have it anymore.
    Don't miss it, don't wish I had it.
  • Get it. £385 is sod all in grand scheme of things and Di2 is freaking great.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    pmcclure wrote:
    Currently, have a 10 speed Ultegra groupset. Hoping to upgrade to 11 speed soon.

Question is, is it worth paying an extra £385 for a di2 groupset (R8000 v's R8500)? The bike is di2 compatible.

Thanks

Depends why you want it. Do you get fed up with with re-indexing gears and getting grubby hands in the process? Are you fed up with double changes on the front and rear when the road goes up and down? Does trimming annoy you?

There's something to be said for indexing your own gears, an art sadly lost on a lot of riders. But with Di2, you do it once and forget it. I have mine set up so I can simply forget the front derailleur relying on synchro shifting to do the work on the front. My left arm goes numb quickly during a ride making front changes impossible, so Di2 was my answer and it solved the problem.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • MiddleRinger
    MiddleRinger Posts: 678
    edited June 2018
    Shimano 105 is all the groupset you will EVER need.

But that's no fun. It's only £385 extra, that's a little over £1 a day for a year. Just do it already!
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Imposter wrote:
    Let's not waste any more BR disk space. The debate is already being had over here: viewtopic.php?f=40020&p=20364570#p20364570

exactly this.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Imposter wrote:

exactly this.

So why then did you bother to post!!! :lol:
  • milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    Imposter wrote:

exactly this.

So why then did you bother to post!!! :lol:

That’s a fairly obvious answer. :lol: