TCR ADVANCED PRO 1

superdomestique
superdomestique Posts: 18
edited June 2018 in Road buying advice
Any chance someone owns this one?

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/ca/tcr-advanced-pro-1

I'm interested to find out what the owners think and do they feel they made a wise investment. Also if you could comment on quality of the wheels(Giant SLR 1 composite WheelSystem). I'm a bit on the heavy side and I just wonder would it make sense to make this purchase. Interior spoke nipples on a tubeless setup just sounds like a hassle if I need to get in there. Other than that I feel like a proven TCR frame with Ultegra should in theory be a decent bike.

Thanks.

Comments

• Wizzybit
    Wizzybit Posts: 8
    I've had a couple of tcr advanced bikes bikes in the past, i think the last one was 2014 (before they added the 'pro' name to it, but it was the next one down from the SL.

Fantastic bike, light, stiff and excellent power transfer. I used it all over, from flat rides, to very hilly rides and the odd crit race, great in all areas.

As for the wheels i really cant comment, best you can do is give them a try and see what you think. If you dont get on with them theres plenty of options for factory wheelsets which are stiffer and more suited to heavier riders or just go down the custom build route.

As you mentioned the tcr is a proven frame, go for it
  • ovi
    ovi Posts: 396
    edited July 2018
    I ride an XL with handbuilt wheels and ultegra 6800 and cant fault it.
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    ^^^^^^^^

'kin 'ell that's some seat to bar drop!
  • Wizzybit wrote:
    As you mentioned the tcr is a proven frame, go for it

I think I will. I'm not getting any younger and this might be one of last opportunities for me to get away with buying a race bike. I'd like to have a tighter cassette but I guess I can switch it if jumps are too big.

ovi wrote:
    I ride an XL with handbuilt wheels and ultegra 6800 and cant fault it.

That's a bike I'd actually prefer to have as I love the stealth look. It's a beauty.

Shortfall wrote:
    ^^^^^^^^

Indeed.

Question for ovi. How much of that seat post is in the frame? I'll probably go for a smaller frame which will result in extending the seat post to it limits. It looks like you got every millimeter out of it.
  • warrior4life
    warrior4life Posts: 925
    I own the disc version of the bike.
    I've changed brands over the last few years bouncing from Scott, to Cannondale, Cervelo etc and Ive ended back up on a TCR as they just work.
    I feel like Giant is very much like Shimano. Its relaible, ticks all the boxes and works well.
    My SuperSix weighed 5.9kg, my TCR disc is now 7.9kg and I'm quicker on the TCR.
    From what I've heard the non disc version feels better than the disc version I have.
    I've had three TCR's over the years and Ithey're as good as anything else I've ridden.
  • donboogie
    donboogie Posts: 75
    I have the 2018 one and am really enjoying it. I also have a 2015 Defy and, while the contrast is less than I expected, it feels really stiff and the handling is more responsive. The Defy is a sedan and the TCR is a sports car. It's not uncomfortable either. Regarding the wheels, they look cool but I can't comment. I'm 94kg and wanted a robust training wheel so I put on Fulcrum Racing 3s.
    DaM1Cz.jpg
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    edited June 2018
    I ride the SL frame (M) with SlR 1 wheels. I'm prob not what people would call a heavy rider (68kg).

Can't fault the bike, handles well, transfers power well, just does what you expect. It doesn't excite me like other bikes have, but it does everything so well I struggle to criticise it. Comfortable for 2 hours or 10. (I've done a few 300km rides on it).

The wheelset (climbing one for me) are stiff and smooth, and I abuse mine with what some would call CX paths. The stiffness feels good when cornering too. Can't comment on maintaining them though, yet to have a problem.

Anyway, I doubt you'd regret it, though I wouldn't promise that you'll fall in love.

NB. careful with the stack/reach of Giant depending what else you ride. I had a 52 tarmac but a S TCR wouldn't have worked out for me with seatpost/stem issues
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • imafatman
    imafatman Posts: 351
    Shortfall wrote:
    ^^^^^^^^

Erm is that even safe......
  • ovi
    edited July 2018
    The seat to bar drop is not that bad, must be the angle the photo was taken. :)

@superdomestique the seat post is well inside the maximum guidelines and is 33 1/4" from centre to top.
  • I own the disc version of the bike.

That's another thing. The shop has the disc version for 200$ more. Don't know if I should maybe opt for that one given that I'm on the heavy side.

Also there was very little clearance for the wheels on the caliper version. If those wheels aren't as stiff, there will definitely be some rub.

DonBoogie wrote:
    I have the 2018 one and am really enjoying it.

That's exactly the one I'm considering. It's not the dealbreaker but I wish Giant would come up with some better graphics. The stealth version just looks nice.

Flâneur wrote:
    NB. careful with the stack/reach of Giant depending what else you ride. I had a 52 tarmac but a S TCR wouldn't have worked out for me with seatpost/stem issues

That's my biggest concern about the bike. My torso is a bit shorter and I'm not as flexible as I use to be so I'd rather opt for smaller bike.

ovi wrote:
    The seat to bar drop is not that bad, must be the angle the photo was taken. :)

Yeah, that explains it. BTW, nice collection of bikes you've got.
  • ovi
    i'm about 100kg and no wheel rub on the calipers and tyres are 25mm
  • warrior4life
    warrior4life Posts: 925
    I went disc is it’s very hilly where I live. Added confidence and also no rim wear.