Trek 1000 vs Felt F95

flarris
flarris Posts: 4
edited June 2018 in Road buying advice
Hi, I am new to the forums and thought i'd get stuck straight in with a query about bike selection.
I am 49 and have owned a few road bikes over a ten year period, but have only started riding a little more rigorously (ie, not commutes) in the last 12 months. We recently rode a 90 mile charity cycle that I used my old Trek 1000 Alpha on, and it coped admirably, considering how little training I had done I could not believe how well it rode - really a quick bike considering how little it cost.The bike bug had bitten properly by then and I was beginning to think about sprint triathlons and so thought "better get a proper bike". I looked at reviews for road bikes for a modest (under £300 used) budget and narrowed it down to a Trek 1.2 or, some days later, a Felt F95.
I realise you really should try a bike before purchase to make sure it suits, but took a chance and had a 58cm F95 sent through ebay. First impressions, nice looking light bike. But..on the road I can't get anywhere near the effortless speed I got with the old Trek, which by that stage I had sold on to a mate (mistake..)
What I'd like to know is, has anyone on here had one of the older Trek 1000 series and graduated to a later Trek model that has rode in a similar way, felt the same? I want to switch the Felt for either a 1.2, or possibly a specialized Allez may fir the bill better than the Felt - I owned one about 6 years back and that seemed quick, too. Any advice welcome please,
cheers Phil