Lightweight Agile Hardtail with Dropper Post

dhp2
dhp2 Posts: 20
edited June 2018 in MTB buying advice
Hey guys,

I am an ex downhill rider who's had a few years off the trail messing about with road bikes.

My bike club has started doing mountain bike rides and I've enjoyed getting back out in the mountains but I feel my old steel DH bike is sucking some of the joy out of my riding.

The club ride a bit more XC with some small jumps and the occasional rocky trail. This means lots of climbing but also challenging natural trails.

I don't want a 29er as my riding has always been more about playing with the trails than steam rolling through them. I like jumping although I won't be getting big air these days.

So I'm looking for something like the following:
Light frame (probably aluminium due to £s)
Light forks (at least 100mm, lockout?)
Dropper post
27.5 light wheels
1x drive chain
Disc brakes

Hardtails are fine as long as they'll take a beating. But I'd be interested to see what light weight FS bikes people might recommend.

This bike is just for fun so I don't really want to spend much more than £2k on it. I realise this might mean fitting a dropper post after buying a bike. I'm also happy to build up from a frame to get the bike I want.

Any suggestions / words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Have a look at the Bird Zero bikes.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Much as I like Bird, they are not exactly 100mm XC bikes.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • JBA
    The OP does say at least 100mm and wants a bike that can handle rocky trails, be used for jumps and take a beating.
    Zero TR would fit the bill, I think.

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • dhp2
    dhp2 Posts: 20
    Whilst I love hardcore hardtails I was hoping someone would chime in with a full sus that fits the bill.

If this is anything like the DMR Exalt I used to own (but lighter!) then they are on to a winner.
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446
    How about a Giant Anthem 2? The 2018 models are just over £2k (down from £2.5k) and come without a dropper,, see here:
    https://www.certini.co.uk/39023/product ... r7EALw_wcB

But if you go to a 2017 model you will be able to get one for £1.7k (down from £2.4k) and buy yourself a dropper.

See Paul's Cycles:
    https://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m1b4s183p ... i-EALw_wcB

Check for spec differences, you might like the 2017 version.
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    What he said^^^ Anthem
  • JBA
    dhp2 wrote:
    Whilst I love hardcore hardtails I was hoping someone would chime in with a full sus that fits the bill.

Perhaps the wrong title for your post then.

As mentioned above: Giant Anthem 2 2017.

• joebristol
    joebristol Posts: 327
    I’m slightly confused - so you’re really after a full suss bike not a hardtail.

Do you really want an xc bike or more just a do everything full suss bike that isn't too heavy and will be both playful but also go uphill well?

In my mind you probably want something like a Transition Scout but that pedals uphill better and doesn’t cost as much!
  • joebristol
    joebristol Posts: 327
    Wonder if a Cannondale Habit 4 might do the job - 120mm travel and marketed as a do anything kind of trail bike. Should be do-able for £2k.

Boardman have a couple of bikes that do the job too - the outgoing Boardman Pro fs is amazingly specced for the £1350 - you won’t beat the fork / gears for less than £2k. There’s a new version - Boardman 8.9 that’s just had a good review but it’s £1600 and has a lower spec but more modern geometry. Both are 140/130mm travel though.