Velo Birmingham 2019

Looks like it's going ahead on May 12th

https://www.birminghampost.co.uk/whats- ... o-14774498

8)

Comments

• mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Avoid that site if you don't like ad cookies, you have to individually switch off around 100 cookies from ad sites.
  • mrfpb
    Official site
    Open to pre-register
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,168
    Probably same day as the Fred Whitton...
    left the forum March 2023
  • mrfpb
    Probably same day as the Fred Whitton...

As mentioned elsewhere, event congestion is a big thing in the sportive world. Velo London and L'etape South are more similar and clash this year. At least Birmingham v. Fred is a genuine choice of different terrain.

All things going well with A-levels, I'll have a teenager at Brum Uni next year, so this might be compatible with family duties :D
  • The provisional route submitted to the local authorities indicates that it starts and finishes in Birmingham City Centre and is anticlockwise through Coleshill, south of Atherstone, west of Bedworth, Coventry, Hockley Heath, Knowle, Longbridge, Quinton and back into the city. Around 50% of the route is through built up areas. The final version will probably end up being at variance to the current proposal.

The 2017 route was controversial with CSM failing professionally in their approach to the local authorities in Worcestershire and Herefordshire. Despite these troubles, CSM addressed those difficulties and re-applied to Worcestershire County for a 2018 event but were ultimately withdrawn by CSM with the latter party citing reasons of "business sustainability" rather than local protest as suggested in some cycling quarters. Quite whether those business sustainability reasons explain the new route for 2019 is unclear but I rather suspect that the new route is more suited to novice riders seeking a mass participation event 'early in the season'. Clearly, the 2017 Worcestershire version was more challenging and better suited for later in the year, in order that entry riders could practice and train for the event.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,168
    The provisional route submitted to the local authorities indicates that it starts and finishes in Birmingham City Centre and is anticlockwise through Coleshill, south of Atherstone, west of Bedworth, Coventry, Hockley Heath, Knowle, Longbridge, Quinton and back into the city. Around 50% of the route is through built up areas. The final version will probably end up being at variance to the current proposal.

What a crap route... and I live in the area, so I know... :lol:
    left the forum March 2023