thru axle, turbo & risk of thread stripping

turbo_hamster
turbo_hamster Posts: 122
edited June 2018 in Workshop
I have a nice new Canyon bike, but it is my first with disc brakes and thru axle.

I want to use it on my old Tacx Flow, and have bought the Tacx branded thru axle recommended by Canyon.

It is not a problem to swap axles. However, it occurs to me rather late in the day that repeated removal/replacement of the thru axle will increase opportunities to strip the threads. This will make the bike unusable.

Has anyone any experience of swapping axles for turbo use? Has anyone any sensible comments about reducing the risks?

I have contacted Tacx to ask if their axle is suitable for road use, i.e. don't have to keep swapping. No reply! Obviously too difficult a query for them.

Comments

• timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    I'm 99% certain that the tacx axle will be fine for road - generally turbo axles/qrs are designed to be stronger than the road one, as the axle is likely to experience more force by virtue of being fixed in place (where on the road the wheel is free to go side to side).

I'm sure with some rudimentary investigation with a magnet and a kitchen scale you could establish that the tacx axle is made of steel and heavier than the stock one, so exceedingly unlikely to be a point of weakness on the road.
  • Thanks for reassuring me. I'm more worried about ruining a frame, than an axle collapsing, but I'm glad to know the thing should be over-engineered.
  • ctp046
    ctp046 Posts: 47
    Doe your thru axle actually screw into the frame? Or screw into the dropout which is attached to the frame. If it's the latter I'd suggest it's not much of an issue (the dropout can always be replaced).
  • I have just checked - yes, screws into frame.