Newbie questions on chains

SRoy
SRoy Posts: 4
edited June 2018 in Workshop
Hi - This is my first post here. Hope someone will answer my question with patience.

I am trying to locate the master link on the chain of my road bicycle that I bought some time ago. I cannot seem to find it. It is the factory fitted OE chain that came with the bike.

My questions are - a. do factory fitted bikes come with chains that don't have master links (it's a Merida Scultura 200 with a 9 speed chain from KMC) b. is it prudent to put a master link by cutting out one link? I am keen to give the chain a thorough clean once in a while.

These might sound very stupid questions to veterans. I shall be delighted if someone could please clear my doubts. I am a total novice to these things.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• SRoy
    SRoy Posts: 4
    Oxoman
    Thanks a lot for clearing the doubt. The "remove a link and put a quick link" being an invasive operation, I was a little hesitant. Perhaps I will keep that as a last option, should the chain get really really dirty after a long muddy ride. For normal cleaning I do what you do too. With a plastic chain scrubber and liquid cleaning solution in water. Park Tools videos are really helpful and thorough. I love the way the mechanic explains things and his mannerisms. In fact I have that channel on my feedly feed as well :-)
    Thanks once again.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    All I would add is that it shouldn't be necessary to remove a chain simply to 'clean' it. It is perfectly possible to clean chains in situ using normal cleaning materials (and by 'normal', I don't mean those crappy chain cleaners)...
  • 3wheeler
    3wheeler Posts: 110
    Imposter wrote:
    All I would add is that it shouldn't be necessary to remove a chain simply to 'clean' it. It is perfectly possible to clean chains in situ using normal cleaning materials (and by 'normal', I don't mean those crappy chain cleaners)...

Park chain cleaner works for me - quick and easy. But yes, whatever your favourite method, no need to remove the chain to clean.