Luxury upmarket bike shop.

ademort
ademort Posts: 1,924
edited June 2018 in Road buying advice
Could anyone tell me in the UK what would be the most upmarket luxury bike shop to visit. Thanks in advance.
ademort
Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
Giant Defy 4
Mirage Columbus SL
Batavus Ventura

Comments

• shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Bespoke is nice there are a few in London.

Superdomestique makes/ builds super nice bikes but I think they are 'to order' only so may not have an amazing shop.

Condor , Rapha.

Try googling the big prestige brands and then London and see what comes up?
  • Thigh_burn
    Thigh_burn Posts: 489
    I've never been in, but I've always had the impression that Push Cartel in the Lake District is up there with the best.
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    bompington wrote:

Think i will give that one a miss. :D
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,554
    as above, try bespoke in london, i've only seen the jermyn street store as it's not far from me, but the one in docklands is the big one i believe
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    ademort wrote:
    Could anyone tell me in the UK what would be the most upmarket luxury bike shop to visit. Thanks in advance.

Depends how you define "luxury upmarket" but my suggestion would be Epic Cycles based in Ludlow

http://epic-cycles.co.uk/

3T, Cannondale, Bianchi, Colnago, Orbea, Ridley, Scott etc are all on offer and I think they do their own custom builds in some of the ranges
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,734
    Bespoke.

Rude enough that they laughed at me when I said I was looking for some handlebars that didn't cost as much as £400.
  • Thigh_burn
    Thigh_burn Posts: 489
    I'd also try Swift Cycles. Great service and very happy to help plus some nice bikes. Plus another vote for Condor.
  • warrior4life
    warrior4life Posts: 925
    Out of left field "Vive Le Velo" in Hull has some real bling if youre in the north east. Very knowledgable owner.
  • imafatman
    imafatman Posts: 351
    Condor and Swift are both good bike shops.

However as far as high end stuff is concerned I have found Sigma Sport to be the most well stocked. All the best shoes and helmets for example, in stock and available to try on.
  • chippyk
    chippyk Posts: 529
    Bicicielo in Birmingham used to have lots of top end bikes, £10k Pinarello and Bianchi. Not been in since they moved to Mere Green.
  • Camcycle1974
    Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
    Depends on how you define upmarket. The most expensive or most desirable? I would much rather have a custom hand made bike than an off the peg one that costs 10k as it might not fit me as well. To me a proper bike shop offers the whole experience from fitting, to choosing the bike, manufacture, and after sales. I will go this route for my next bike, probably from Racer Rosa in London. High end but not bling.
  • Tiesetrotter
    Tiesetrotter Posts: 432
    You could say any of the older race bike shops are in the upmarket bracket ............ if not the 'luxury' bracket.

Geoff Butler Cycles in Souf Croydon for example or Maurice Burton's De Ver Cycles ........ although Maurice and his talented family may raise an eyebrow or two at the 'Luxury' monicker. I think they are more about focusing on cycling rather than some posh decor and a flat white.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    ademort wrote:

Perhaps if you could explain the purpose of your visit? Is it (a) to stand there and pose, or (b) to potentially buy something expensive and luxurious?

Also, the 'UK' is quite a big place. No point someone suggesting a luxury, upmarket bike shop in Aberdeen if you only plan to be in London.
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    I work over bespoke in the City. They have a good coffee shop. I have used the mechanics in there. All the bikes and kit they sell are £££££££. Pleasant enough staff.
  • schlepcycling
    schlepcycling Posts: 1,614
    How about Sigma Sports in Hampton Wick.
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    Another vote for Bespoke
  • Camcycle1974
    Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
    We have a a high end shop in Cambridge which sells colnago, cervelo, Moots, Enigma and some other brands. Despite this the shop looks like a jumble sale which makes it hard to see the bikes. Hence why I bought my Enigma elsewhere. How the shop is presented is as important as what they stock.
  • I'd be having a couple of days in the glorious Lake District. Push Cartel in Ambleside is the blingest bike shop I've ever been in. Knowledgeable and pleasant staff as well. I was very, very impressed despite the eye-watering prices.
  • Slight curve ball: the Brompton shop near Covent Garden is nice!
  • turbotommy
    turbotommy Posts: 493
    If you’re in central London then bespoke, rapha, the assos shop and the bike rooms which sell pinarello are all around Piccadilly Circus. I’ve not been to Bespoke in some time but it used to present bikes like pieces of art which is quite a thing.
    Cannondale caad7 ultegra
    S-works Tarmac sl5 etap
    Colnago c64 etap wifli
    Brother Swift
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    Not as luxury but on your way to Push Cartel on Ambleside drop in to Biketreks at Ings (the road bike branch). Or Wheelbase for the largest bike store in the UK apparently.

Seriously though push cartel is the only truly luxury retailer in the lakes. Biketreks is just a good shop, all marble effect flooring and slab steps to first floor. Crisp and clean store with the better Specialized bikes plus mason and better brands too. For the kids early rider with the polished, clean frame and belt drive.
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    They don't carry Trek? I am shocked. Shocked!
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    mamil314 wrote:
    They don't carry Trek? I am shocked. Shocked!
    Cube is another brand they don't carry.

Some areas seem trek sells well, others cube or giant. Round here it's Carrera! We're really upmarket we are! :wink:
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    If you are that well off why not combine your purchase with a trip here:
    https://www.thebikeartisans.com

Nice blokes with some lovely bikes... :)
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    https://www.pushcartel.co.uk/shop/light ... ottle-cage

or you could just save yourself 70 quid for a mere 5 grams extra and buy a Boardman cage in Halfords*

It really depends what you want from your visit to this bike shop before anyone can advise where you should go. For instance, a guy at work was amazed when he went into Evans* (Cycles, not big birds) and saw both the range and price list, because "....bikes come fro Halfords, or Argos don't they?...."

*I'm not advocating Halfords or Evans as a luxury upmarket bike shop.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • gotwood25
    gotwood25 Posts: 314
    Backyard Bikes in Newcastle takes some beating

https://www.backyardbikeshop.com/custom-builds
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    Bespoke is where all the city boys go and masturbate. Sigma Sport is a good up market shop.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    Yeah, Push Cartel in Ambleside, is up there. It's about 5 minutes walk from my office - I think they are fed up with me 'just browsing' (although they'd never say so!). It started very small, and they seem to have opened up parts of the shed (it's literally in a shed by the side of the ghyll) as the years have gone by. fyi - closed mondays.

Biketreks new(ish) premises in Ings is as described above, very much 'car showroom', all polished stone and glass, and they do have some brands that others around here don't stock, eg Mason, and Alchemy.