Summer jersey with front pocket to fit a 6" mobile?

N0bodyOfTheGoat
N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,846
edited June 2018 in Road buying advice
I've been aware of my mobile losing its Bluetooth connection to my Lezyne Super GPS this spring/summer, when I stash my mobile in a rear pocket, which consequently means the "live tracking" feature (the main reason I got a modern mobile) and the automatic re-routing if I go off-course stop working.

I've done two rides this week, looking at another idea of why the connection is failing, which seems to have nailed it. Namely, instead of wearing a jersey, I've been wearing my Altura Peleton Transformer jacket without the sleeves and using the generous front pocket for the mobile. Tracking and re-routing by purposely ignoring directions have worked flawlessly.

The only issue is, even though temps have dropped a little this week, the Altura doesn't wick away the heat as well as I'd like when riding fairly hard for more then a few minutes.

Any suggestions for breathable summer jerseys with a large front pocket that don't require me to sell a kidney? :lol:
================
2020 Voodoo Marasa
2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
2016 Voodoo Wazoo

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Can't you get a bento box and put it on your top tube ? It's been baking round here - I'd not be wearing a jacket for a good while.
  • BenjoMunro
    BenjoMunro Posts: 14
    I'd be looking at why the bluetooth is dropping out at such a close proximity to your device. Bluetooth range of a mobile phone should be about 20-25ft.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Could you hang it from a lanyard round your neck, between base layer and jersey?

But yes, I'd be trying to find out why the bluetooth connectivity is so ropy at such short range. Is it the phone or the Lezyne? When my wife takes my car my phone picks up the bluetooth from 30 feet and through a wall.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,620
    One of those tri bags that mount on the top tube behind the stem.
  • bigmitch41
    bigmitch41 Posts: 685
    top tube bag, sorted.
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    MrB123 wrote:
    One of those tri bags that mount on the top tube behind the stem.

They're called Bento boxes - after the Japanese single serving meal thing.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Water is a very good "insulator" (probably not the technical term) for radio waves, and your body is mostly water. It's definitely not unusual for a bluetooth connection to drop out when it's well within range but there's a human being in close proximity to one of the devices and in the way.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    water does indeed attenuate radio signals - which is why your mobile won't work when you go diving ;)

An easy example of the body interfering in radio signals was when I was on a launch with my Dad - we've both got the same VHF radio, both had it on the belt loop, both programmed from the same file and same squelch - my radio picked up a signal and his didn't - he turned around so his radio was the same orientation as mine and his picked up the transmission.