Buying a new Bike - need advice

James5000
James5000 Posts: 15
edited June 2018 in Road beginners
Hello,

Looking at a few bikes and I am concerned about weight and groupsets.

I like the Canyon Endurance and the Giant Advanced TCR 2 – both come with Shimano 105 – don’t like the rim brakes on the TCR.

I see that they weigh between 19 and 20lbs either will run me at least $1,500 - $1,700

My question is that I just test road a REI bike, I know REI but it felt great – it was the ARD 1.2, shimano 105 groupset, also aluminum, which I do not mind.

I am stuck on the weight – it’s 22lbs – will this hurt me in a cat 4 or 5 – not much into climbing.

Also, it only costs $1,299 and I get back $129.00 as a member, plus they gave me a $100.00 gift card.

All in just about $1,200

Thanks

Comments

• Andymaxy
    Andymaxy Posts: 197
    I can't feel the difference between my 15 pound canyon aeroad, and my 25 pound steel raleigh. I think this is because I've got heavy and very deep wheels on my aeroad, but lighter shallow wheels on my raleigh. I am going faster on the aeroad, just slightly, but no noticeable difference. You are talking one or two pounds, I don't think it will make tangible difference.

So go with the one that has the geometry that fits you best. If you go with the rei bike, go take the money you saved and buy the lightest wheels in that price range.
  • Andymaxy
    Andymaxy Posts: 197
    Just going to add that bike weight is a number that you look at to make yourself feel good, don't make heavy bike an excuse for poor climbing abilities, bike weight really doesn't make much difference, especially just one or two pounds.
  • James5000
    James5000 Posts: 15
    Thanks guys - needed to hear that
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Whats an REI bike ?
  • For what you can save in bike weight, I think losing your own weight is much more economical (and probably healthier too!)
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    why don't you like the rim brakes?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.