Whyte T13S Freehub issues

paulbnix
paulbnix Posts: 632
edited June 2018 in MTB workshop & tech
I have a Whyte T130S that is about 9 months old.
It has Whyte branded hubs with WTB rims - 12 mm thru axle boost 148 with SRAM XD.
I've dismantled the rear hub as it is very notchy when you rotate the wheel.

The bearings in the freehub are shot. I'm looking for a replacement freehub as I have an imminent trip planned.

However I think that will deteriorate like the original so I'm looking to rebuild the wheel with a new hub (and probably new spokes)

The Hope hub is about £160 - are there any other servicable hubs that I should consider?

Comments

• steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,449
    Take it back to the shop!

Have read of your warranty, all bearings are guaranteed for 12 months minimum, pivots for the life of the bike (whilst in your ownership).
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    As Tom would say, that's most unusual. Freehub bearings are not exposed, have you done astronomical mileage in the wet and/or been using a power washer.
  • billycool
    billycool Posts: 833
    Why replace the freehub? Can't you just get the bearings replaced (whether under warranty or not). That must be cheaper/easier than a wheel build?

FWIW - I have an issue with my e13 rear hub eating bearings so I've just bought a Hope hub and it will be laced to some WTB rims I bought at Xmas.

But my bike isn't 9 months old, so I'd certainly look at a warranty claim. Sadly, these can take time so it might not fit within your timescales.

I'd get the bike to a Whyte dealer and get their opinion.
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • paulbnix
    The bike hasn’t done a lot of miles but many of those were wet and muddy and it hasn’t been jet washed.

The freehub bearings are definitely shot. I dismantled the rear hub until I was left with the freehub still on the axle so it was easy to feel the notchy bearings. I’m not sure how to remove the freehub from the axle as a few robust taps did nothing. I'll have to find out.

I’ve replaced bearings in a road freehub before - actually a Miche Primato hub - and it wasn’t easy.
    I was looking at rebuilding the wheel with a more serviceable and better protected hub as I don’t want this grief every few months.

I will contact Whyte and the shop to see if they will do anything.

As far as I can see there is nothing stopping crud from entering the freehub and this is what the pawls looked like :x
    40981550710_beedfd57ee_k.jpg
    41891139435_03a0e9be18_k.jpg
  • steve_sordy
    Very dodgy seals on that thing.

By any chance is it an e13 freehub?

In any case, put it all back together and take it back to the place you bought it from and insist they fix it.
  • paulbnix
    I don’t know what the freehub is. Whyte describe it as “Alloy, Double Sealed Cartridge Bearing Hub, 12mm X 148mm Boost Through Axle, 32 Hole” so it could be anything.
    Trying to contact the shop it was bought from.
  • billycool
    paulbnix wrote:
    I don’t know what the freehub is. Whyte describe it as “Alloy, Double Sealed Cartridge Bearing Hub, 12mm X 148mm Boost Through Axle, 32 Hole” so it could be anything.
    Trying to contact the shop it was bought from.

The hub has failed to keep out water. End of.

Steve's reference to e13 is because the early e13 hubs did the same and were replaced under warranty and a new `improved` version was released.

The brand is irrelevant though. It's failed to do it's job so get it back. Of course, if you don't have faith in them anymore, the new wheel build option is viable. That's what I'm going to do.
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • paulbnix
    It seems the freehub is not warrantied - I didn't think it would be from previous experience with road bikes.
    A replacement freehub is £49.99 - not worth a tenner if the sealing is as bad.

I managed to get the wheel working again by liberal application of oil and grease into the "sealed" bearing in the freehub and cleaned up the pawls and ratchet but obviously that's not a long term solution.

So back to my original question - other than the Hope Pro 4 MTB Rear Hub - Boost 148mm x 12mm are there any other hubs worth considering - they need to be well sealed and easily servicable.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    It depends on your budget.
    Hope are excellent (£145). Chris King are excellent but very expensive (£400). Superstar Components have the new V6 Boost rear hubs coming out soon for £130.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • billycool
    I've just bought a Hope rear hub (non-boost) on eBay for £90 delivered. It's practically brand new. I have seen some boost ones on there as well. You might be able to get one for a decent price. Or buy new.

I did look at the Superstar hubs - I have the older Fuel hubs on a Mavic wheel build for my HT. Not had any issues.

As others have pointed out elsewhere, the newer V6 isn't far off the price of the Hopes but without the track record. I have no reason to think that V6's wouldn't be any good, as they are meant to be UK produced and probably a similar set-up to Hope.

Can't believe the hub isn't warrantied considering the age of the bike. You'd like to think they could manage some sort of goodwill gesture or something.

I've bought Hope hubs as I want a `forever` wheelset which can be serviced and should last me. I've had enough faffing around with sub-standard kit.
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • kirkymtb
    kirkymtb Posts: 31
    Bearings are not made specifically for a particular wheel. Could you source the same dimension bearings of a different make which would be better sealed? This wouldn't seal up your freehub, unfortunately but may at least be a cheaper fix for the short or medium term.
    My MTB blog...https://wordpress.com/view/mountainbiker.home.blog
    Boardman FS Pro 2016. Whyte PRST 4 2004, Whyte JW 4 2004 :D
  • steve_sordy
    I thought standard EU law on warranties was for two years on manufactured non-perishable goods?

I am not an expert on this at all, but a little bit of time with Mr Google or maybe even the local Trading Standards office could prove fruitful.

Irrespective of all that, "goods have to be of merchantable quality", ie fit for purpose. It seems to me that 9 months to get into that state is not fit for purpose. You don't use jet washers do you?