Comments

• Andymaxy
    Andymaxy Posts: 197
    Ryan_W wrote:
    Andymaxy wrote:
    Ryan_W wrote:
    Andymaxy wrote:
    Ryan_W wrote:
    Tubeless are heavier and have a higher rolling resistance compared to top line clinchers with latex tubes.

The tires themselves are not heavier, it's the wheels that needs to be heavier.
    In terms of rolling resistance tubeless IS the BEST.

This is 100% wrong.

25c Schwalbe Pro Ones are IRO 260g.
    Tubeless valve - 7g each
    30ml sealant - 30g
    Total - 297g
    11.0w rolling resistance

25c Continental GP4K IRO 215g.
    Super light latex tube - 60g
    Rim tape - 5g
    Total - 280g
    10.6w rolling resistance

And as for tubeless wheels weighing more than non-tubeless, that is also incorrect.

Thank you for your input.

You compared one SPECIFIC tire to another SPECIFIC tire, and jumped to the comparison that tubeless are worse in terms of both weight and rolling resistance compared to other systems. That just hilarious.

Even then, you are still wrong. The best tubeless setup is vittoria corsa speed open tlr. 225 grams and roll at 7.7 watts.

On the wheels side, wheels are now generally tubeless and tubes conpatible, back when tubeless just started, rims designed for just tubes are lighter.

As far as weight goes, all parts on a clincher is rotational weight, on tubeless he sealant always stay at the bottom. Effectively, it's a lot lighter.

You are full of absolute shite.

I compared the ‘go to’ tyres for many choosing either clinchers or tubeless.

The Vittoria is a fragile TT tyre that wouldn’t stand a chance on 99.9% of roads, essentially a track use only tyre.

And your physics chat about rotational weight is hilarious.

What about the internal friction and drag the sealant has on the tyre? Please explain that one to me in layman’s terms.

FYI, I’ve been running tubeless for years as well as traditional clinchers and tubes.

Hahahaha, you say that vittoria is a fragile TT tire, what about those 60 gram latex tubes then? Hahahahhahaha.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    I'm afraid, Andymaxy, you're hypothesis are just not credible. I'm sure some of what you say is true but it seems to be based on beliefs rather than facts.
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    If the result of some (many? most?) punctures is a slight loss of tyre pressure that doesn't affect the ability to finish the race, tubeless has potential to become the first choice for sprinters and classics riders.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    mm1 wrote:
    If the result of some (many? most?) punctures is a slight loss of tyre pressure that doesn't affect the ability to finish the race, tubeless has potential to become the first choice for sprinters and classics riders.

If the Mavic guff about the design of its ust rims is to be believed, there is a design feature which stops deflated tyres rolling off the rim. If that is the case, and if a deflated tyre can be ridden on for a while then one of the tubulars outstanding benefits may no longer quite the USP it is now.
  • ryan_w-2
    ryan_w-2 Posts: 1,162
    Andymaxy wrote:

Hahahaha, you say that vittoria is a fragile TT tire, what about those 60 gram latex tubes then? Hahahahhahaha.

I'm obviously attempting to have a conversation with a full blown cnut-tard.

Not sure about you, but I run my latex tubes INSIDE my tyres which generally seems to be the norm...

I've never had any problems installing them or riding on them. This includes descending Madone at 80kph+ which has numerous switchbacks and heats the rims up nicely.

I shall let you do you and I shall do me.

Just don't go spurting out incorrect and ill informed information to others, you're not really helping there.
    Specialized Allez Sprint Disc --- Specialized S-Works SL7

IG: RhinosWorkshop
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    Andymaxy wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    diplodicus wrote:
    I meant the claim that the sealant stays at the bottom while riding along. This is what I find hard to believe.

Is there some sort of evidence or is it an opinion?
    Yeah, if cycling at 20-30kmh the tyre will be rotating with quite some speed. I don't see the sealant staying at the bottom.

At that point it doesn't matter. Weight matters only during acceleration. When you are slow, and trying to get up to speed that's when you need light weight the most, and that's when the sealant is sure to be at the bottom of the tire. Once you are up to that speed, the weight doesn't matter anymore.

This is 100% true - until you ride a road race, or a crit, where you have lots of changes in tempo and you're up and down the cassette. Then the weight does become a penalty
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    ShutupJens wrote:
    Andymaxy wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    diplodicus wrote:
    I meant the claim that the sealant stays at the bottom while riding along. This is what I find hard to believe.

Is there some sort of evidence or is it an opinion?
    Yeah, if cycling at 20-30kmh the tyre will be rotating with quite some speed. I don't see the sealant staying at the bottom.

At that point it doesn't matter. Weight matters only during acceleration. When you are slow, and trying to get up to speed that's when you need light weight the most, and that's when the sealant is sure to be at the bottom of the tire. Once you are up to that speed, the weight doesn't matter anymore.

This is 100% true - until you ride a road race, or a crit, where you have lots of changes in tempo and you're up and down the cassette. Then the weight does become a penalty

THIS EXACTLY
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    It's gone very Road General in here....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,583
    ddraver wrote:
    It's gone very Road General in here....

Right down to people spelling tyres incorrectly