Mavic Cosmic Pro SL UST v new Zipp Firecrest 303 pros and cons

papajimbo
papajimbo Posts: 61
edited June 2018 in Road buying advice
Both wheels seem to have got some pretty decent upgrades this year so apart from the obvious price difference what do people think are the main pros and cons either way?

Apparently braking is supposed to be excellent on both, weight is similar but Mavic probably wins due to no inner tubes, speed? Able to be rebuilt? Versatility? Durability?

Comments

• StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Are you referring to the Mavic Cosmic Pro Carbon SL UST? If so, I have them and they're excellent. I run them tubeless with the Mavic Yksion UST tyres and have no complaints. Braking is spot on in the dry and reports suggest good in the wet. The brake track has some trickery with the resin to help reduce heat build up, but one would still need to avoid being constantly braking on descents as you would with any rim brake. They're lightweight even after being balanced.

I can't compare them to the competition as I haven't ridden those, but I got my Mavics at a steal thanks to Wiggles'/CRC's fairness and generosity over a mistake, which makes them a solid winner for me.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.