Dream Bike up to £3000 budget - i need help spending my money!

2»

Comments

• steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446
    kmcd21 wrote:
    ................. I’m wanting to downsize from a capra as it’s sluggish on flats and hills.

I'd be interested in knowing which YT Capra you got. I have one I bought in June 2015, the CF Comp. My first ride was a natural trail close to my home, that I know well. It has a long steep climb and I was interested in knowing how it would climb compared to my the current bike. The odds were against the Capra as it had bigger wheels, worse gearing for climbing, shorter cranks, fatter tyres, and it was heavier! But I was astounded at how well it climbed, really astounded. Initially I put it down to it was just me having a good day. But this performance has continued.

I had to add several tokens to the fork before I got the suspension working to my liking. The fork went through its travel too quickly for my liking. I didn't have to touch the shock. The front tyre had to go as it wasn't grippy enough. I kept the basic tyre the same, just swapped the single compound for a triple compound and the thing corners as though it is on rails now, but without being draggy on the flat.

I have since converted the 2x10 to a 1x12 and it is even better.
  • eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192
    You don't mention wheel size (and neither does anyone else!).

Transition Scout if you're looking at 27.5"
    I have a Tranny Scout and they are a riot to ride,I stepped down from a Patrol and I have never really missed the extra travel,Transition's are well into Santa Cruz money now,I have ridden my mates Whyte T130 RS it's a cracking bike bit more of an all rounder than the Scout,and better value for money a smidge over the O,P's budget at £3150
  • kmcd21
    kmcd21 Posts: 105
    kmcd21 wrote:
    ................. I’m wanting to downsize from a capra as it’s sluggish on flats and hills.

I'd be interested in knowing which YT Capra you got. I have one I bought in June 2015, the CF Comp. My first ride was a natural trail close to my home, that I know well. It has a long steep climb and I was interested in knowing how it would climb compared to my the current bike. The odds were against the Capra as it had bigger wheels, worse gearing for climbing, shorter cranks, fatter tyres, and it was heavier! But I was astounded at how well it climbed, really astounded. Initially I put it down to it was just me having a good day. But this performance has continued.

I had to add several tokens to the fork before I got the suspension working to my liking. The fork went through its travel too quickly for my liking. I didn't have to touch the shock. The front tyre had to go as it wasn't grippy enough. I kept the basic tyre the same, just swapped the single compound for a triple compound and the thing corners as though it is on rails now, but without being draggy on the flat.

I have since converted the 2x10 to a 1x12 and it is even better.

I have 2016 aluminium. 3 tokens in fork and 2 spacers on shock.
    1x11 drivetrain
    Tyres- Maxxis Minion DHF 27.5 x 2.5 Black 3C MaxxGrip DOUBLEDOWN WT F EXO front and 2.4 on the aft wheel.

Most of riding I do is trail and natural a lot of hills and pedalling so it’s just a heavy bike. It’s not really bad. And I agree with your comment on it’s surprising how well it pedals for the beast that it is.
    My thoughts are it could be a whole lot better and there are a lot of bikes out there that can do it better .
    Enduro- YT Capra AL1- 2016
    Road- Boardman Team Carbon- 2010
    XC- Gary Fisher Marlin- 2002