Upgrading freewheel from 28 to 34

srnsuki
srnsuki Posts: 8
edited June 2018 in MTB workshop & tech
So I have a second hand mountain bike and it comes with a 28 freewheel. I was thinking of upgrading that to a 34. Do you know how is it possible or if it is?

They is the freewheel that I was talking about, it's 7 spd but mine is 6, would it work?

https://www.alltricks.es/F-11911-casset ... dientes_7v

Also my bike's pics.

https://imgur.com/a/9dLfmem

Comments

• JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Not unless you have a 7-speed shifter.

You can get a 6-speed 14-34 Shimano freewheel but the jump between 1st and 2nd gear is pretty big.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • srnsuki
    So could I swap it for a 34 6 spd with no problems?
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Probably, but you may have to put a longer chain on as well to account for the larger sprocket.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,449
    If you have a 6-speed cassette right now, stick with 6 speeds, unless you want to change your mech and your shifter. if you are going to change the mech and the shifter and chain, then I believe that you could go to 10-speed. But others on here will know for sure.

Many years ago, I used to have a 7-speed with a cassette that was called a Mega-drive. The first 6 gears went from 13-24T with an average shift of 13%, then the last one was a 34T, which was a massive 41% shift. But it sure got me up the hills!

You could fit that 6-speed mega drive, but as others have said, you'd have to lengthen the chain (best ft a new one, old chains seldom run well on new cassettes). You would also have to wind in the B-screw to move the upper jockey wheel away from the rear axle, so that the chain can shift onto the 34T without the jockey wheel fouling on the 34T.
  • srnsuki
    I think I got it, thank you very much!!
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    Why is it an ugade?

I assume you have 3 chainrings, is the granny ring and 28 t too high a gear.