Speed vs Distance?

vegas76
vegas76 Posts: 278
edited June 2018 in Road beginners
I've recently started cycling and have built up to 40-45km rides with some (but not loads of hills) but I seem to be struggling to build the distance more and instead am watching my average speed increase at a slow but steady pace.

Is it right to assume that 25miles at 14mph is broadly equivalent to 24 miles at 14.5mph? Or does endurance capacity work in a different way?

Comments

• Brakeless
    Brakeless Posts: 865
    So with that formula what speed would you do over 50 miles ?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,803
    Do the distance and the speed will follow.
    Ignore the speed until you can comfortably manage the distance that you want to achieve.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    You need the base miles really. If you're just going faster then your workouts are getting shorter.

You can ramp up distance quite a bit on a bike. It's not like running.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Just up the mileage

Once you hold that speed for 40-50 miles, you might want to look at joining a club. The quickest cheapest way to go faster is to ride with (slightly) faster riders. Good fun too.
  • vegas76
    vegas76 Posts: 278
    Thanks for the replies... Will need to focus on building the distance, though the additional time isn't easy with other commitments.
  • MiddleRinger
    MiddleRinger Posts: 678
    Vegas76 wrote:
    IIs it right to assume that 25miles at 14mph is broadly equivalent to 24 miles at 14.5mph?

No. But it's all irrelevant at the end of the day. Are you happy with that? That's all that matters really, get out there and ride your bike as often as you are happy doing so. The next question is of course: What is your goal?

Ride 50 miles at the 14mph? Ride 25 miles at 17mph? Ride 50 miles at 17mph? Ride 100 miles? Just ride?

:-)
  • cld531c
    cld531c Posts: 517
    Brakeless wrote:
    So with that formula what speed would you do over 50 miles ?

7mph if Ive guessed the formula correct :-)