Front fork confusion!!!

numicancu
numicancu Posts: 2
edited June 2018 in MTB buying advice
Trek x-caliber 9 2018 year model had Recon Gold RL and its successor 2019 year model has Judy silver TK!!! Got me confused!!! Coz i think its a step down rather than an upgrade!! Please correct me!!! And how bad or good is the judy silver tk vs recon Gold RL

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You are right, it is a downgrade. The Judy is basically an old name on a budget Boost fork, basically a revamped xc30/30 gold.

But we are going to see a lot of this on 2019 bikes. Prices have rocketed for components, so the bike manufacturers either hike the prices, or drop the specs - or as I am seeing, both.
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446
    The manufacturer's marketing department believe it is important to hit certain price points, under £1000 for example. To do this in the face of rising costs means that in the absence of any productivity gains, better buying, other cost saving measures, or higher volume to dilute the fixed costs, then the quality has to come down to meet the price point.
  • billycool
    billycool Posts: 833
    The manufacturer's marketing department believe it is important to hit certain price points, under £1000 for example. To do this in the face of rising costs means that in the absence of any productivity gains, better buying, other cost saving measures, or higher volume to dilute the fixed costs, then the quality has to come down to meet the price point.

Translation:

Stuff costs more
    They don't want to charge more
    They use cheaper stuff
    You get less bike for your money

:D
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • steve_sordy
    BillyCool wrote:

Translation:

Stuff costs more
    They use cheaper stuff

I can see why you are in higher management. :)
  • billycool
    billycool Posts: 833
    BillyCool wrote:

Translation:

Stuff costs more
    They use cheaper stuff

I can see why you are in higher management. :)

LOL! I just don't have the vocabulary to use bigger words!
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • steve_sordy
    BillyCool wrote:

LOL! I just don't have the vocabulary to use bigger words!

Verbal incontinence is my cross-eyed bear. :wink: